We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Suggestion (Please take into consideration)! - Paid Membership | Forum

Hybrid
Hybrid Oct 27 '14
Greetings plugin developer(s),

I am really enjoying this plugin, but would like to add a feature/suggestion that I believe would make this plugin truly worth while.  So here it is:

As it currently sits right now, when adding different memberships, it only reflects what is on or being used (other plugins).  Ex: Standard Membership may include "blogs, forums, newsfeed, friends" all free and a Gold Membership may include "blogs, forums, newsfeed, friends, groups, events" and be for $10/mo - recurring.

Would it be possible to add the functionality to add items not related to plugins or oxwall in general?  Adding this would be perfect!  So for example, let's say I rent out game servers, having the option to add this into a paid membership would definitely help me out.  Same goes for other products I may have to offer, but is not related to any plugins and/or oxwall.

So overall, and referring back to that example above for the "gold membership", it would include all those items but also include "1 game server" or any other products I have to offer my members.

Lastly, is there some place where I can check and/or edit the email that is sent to members to either renew, or remind the user that payment is due?

Looking forward to your reply and hope you deeply consider my suggestion above as it would definitely improve this plugin ten-fold!

Hybrid
Hybrid Nov 5 '14
^ Bump.
Hybrid
Hybrid Nov 15 '14
Besides the suggestion of an added feature that I mentioned in the first post, I have noticed a serious issue that you may have overlooked with this plugin.

Once a user obtains a membership, (and let's call this membership a gold package - that includes the ability to create events, groups, and fundraising projects), and they create a group - once their membership expires, they are still able to access that group....This should not occur - since their membership expired and they have not renewed, they shouldn't have access to the group at all anymore - same goes for any member who may be part of it.  If the account holder (the one who paid for that membership) is unable to make a payment to keep this group going, they shouldn't be able to still have it and/or be able to do anything within the group.

I do know you have it where they are unable to create any more groups, events, etc....if the user does not renew their subscription - but if a user has created a group during their membership period, and then decides to no longer pay for services (in this case the group) - they should not have access to that group at all anymore - same goes for the members within it since no one is paying for that group anymore.

With that in mind - I truly believe this needs to be addressed and fixed - the "group" could still be there, but only for admin use (admins are the only one's who can see it and delete it if necessary) - that way, in the event that a user does renew down the road (let's say a month or so) - that group of theirs is still there, and once a payment of that user who created that group initially, is then able to access it again.

I hope that makes sense - it's a serious flaw that needs to be fixed - otherwise, what's the point of even having a paid membership - a user could have a paid membership for a month only - create groups, events, and crowd funding projects, and never have to renew their subscription since they can still access what they created when they did have a membership...It doesn't make sense at all...

Please fix this!

I haven't tested this out for Events, or crowd funding projects, but I'm sure it's the same scenario as the groups.....a user can create an event if they have a membership that allows them too, and extend that event for many years down the road - then once their membership expires, and they no longer renew, they are still able to access that event....

If you are confused with what I have described, please let me know - I'm sure I can explain it better - but seriously, if this plugin itself is $49 - all these loop holes need to be fixed.

Skalfa LLC Partner
Skalfa LLC Dec 4 '14

Hybrid82, the fact is that the Paid Mambesrship plugin does nothing with the actions which is available for Roles. Just let me explain how the system works:

Oxwall software has it's own system for separating the site users into several roles with the different 'possibilities'. When a new plugin being developed, the plugin developer makes a decision whether their plugin will work with this system or not.  

For example, a developer is going to create a plugin for music upload. He decided that his plugin will allow admins to restrict or allow the actions like upload music, view music, comment music for different roles - so, he add necessary methods which are responsible for this functionality into his plugin. Then after the site admin installed this plugin, these actions will appear in the Roles section. 

The Paid Membership type just allows admins to earn money by using the Role feature with its level separation. Basing on a role the site admin can create a membership type and set the price for this type. That's it.

Hereunder, if you want some plugins installed on the site to work the Role feature, you should contact these plugins developers and suggest them this feature.

As for the problem you've described in the second post - basing on what has been described above, once again, it has nothing to do with the Paid Membership plugin functionality. The Paid Membership plugin does not respond for the access to the features - it just provides a possibility to create several paid memberships based on the Roles feature to monetize the site.

Anyway, let me shed a light on this functionality as a whole. There are three actions: 

- Add Content - in case a user has access to this action they can add a Content and this Content will be visible on the site until a user or moderator delete it.

- View Content - in case a user has access to this action they can browse a Content. Once the user becomes, let's say, Free user(this action is not available for free users), they will not be able to see the Content.

- Comment Content - in case a user has access to this action they can comment on the Content.

So, we believe that this is not a bug and most likely considered as a custom code modification of the plugins (in this case you are talking about the groups) and core functionality (Roles feature).

You do not have permission to reply this topic