We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

cloudflare or ssl | Forum

Alix
Alix Oct 28 '14
Hello,
It's better to have ssl or cdn like cloudflare for security?
I read a many trouble about cloudflare.
It's realy compatible with oxwall?
If you have a choice. Wich one are going selected?
Thank..
David
David Oct 28 '14
I guess that Oxwall is fully compatible with Cloudflare. And Cloudflare also helps fight DDoS-attacks on site but SSL - does not! I use Cloudflare on my Oxwall-site: http://www.bigpro.pics
Apostol
Apostol Nov 2 '14
ssl doesnt work on oxwall 
Alix
Alix Nov 2 '14
Come on, realy, no way.
SSL doesnt work with oxwall. Argh
It's a terrible news...
Are you sure with that thing..
Aie Aie caramba
tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 2 '14
ssl works on oxwall 
tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 2 '14
yes it does my site been ssl for long time no issues no mods

the problem is if your site has been run none ssl for a wile and when u change to sll 

but in time it sorts it self out as all new content comes over sll 

Олег
Олег Nov 2 '14

Quote from Tammy yes it does my site been ssl for long time no issues no mods

the problem is if your site has been run none ssl for a wile and when u change to sll 

You may suggest that the change in oxwall for correct site https?
Kelvin
Kelvin Nov 2 '14
I also use SSL for my social network. But I don't use cloudflare on it. Because Cloudflare didn't speed up my website. So I have to turn it off.
Durlabh Ashok
Durlabh Ashok Nov 2 '14
Quote from Alix Come on, realy, no way.
SSL doesnt work with oxwall. Argh
It's a terrible news...
Are you sure with that thing..
Aie Aie caramba
Well Alix, If SSL doesn't work for you then maybe your hosting doesn't allow you or you may have misconfigured it,Oxwall is made on security and the oxwall developers cannot just leave SSL, It's the main protection against hacker's attacks.
You have asked which one is good SSL or cloudfare.Before I answer your question lets understand the difference between cloud flare and SSL:-

Cloudflare:

Cloudfare in simple way acts as an firewall/ filter for those who you visit your site,It has large number of Ip Blacklist Databases,IPs of hacker.etc which they use to hack websites or .etc,cloudflare automatically filter that Ip addresses.So basically Cloudflare is for the protection of your website plus it also optimize the speed of your website.Speed optimization depends on the hosting you are using, Contact your hosting provider if you see no improvement in the speed of your website, Some hosting doesn't support CloudFlare.

SSL:In the simplest way SSL is for the protection of your users of your website,it is basically a encryption and decryption protocol(Method) in which your user communicate with your website.It basically protects the data, which users enter into your site.It serves as middle man(Cop) between your website and user so that the data(which is entered by user) doesn't go into wrong hands or the hacker.For instance Email or Even passwords!

My Recommendation: 

If you have big database of users than you should use cloudflare and SSL.If you have small database of users than cloudflare would be perfect for you and plus its basic plan is free.

The Forum post is edited by Durlabh Ashok Nov 2 '14
ross Team
ross Nov 2 '14

Tammy +1

Alix
Alix Nov 3 '14
Thank you all for your answer, i realy appreciate.
All, You have help me to make a descision for a good security.
Have a nice day everyone
Best regards

The Forum post is edited by Alix Nov 3 '14
tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 3 '14

Quote from Chris_W

I installed a fresh test site under ssl about three months ago. Any content that was on my server was OK, any content that was pulled in from outside by a plugin that wasn't coming from from an https url cause the ssl to fail with the message that the page contained unsecure content .
that happens on every site that uses ssl even facebook
Durlabh Ashok
Durlabh Ashok Nov 3 '14
+1 Tammy,Totally agreed!
tammy harris
tammy harris Nov 3 '14
it wont be long and no one will go near a site thats not ssl 

every day on the news there more and more identity theft 
email haresting
profile harvesting 

sites everywhere are going ssl 
Richard Beltran
Richard Beltran Nov 22 '15

I contact cloudflare support to let them activate their free universal ssl on my site and this is what they replied to me:

Hi Richard,

Universal SSL is already active for your site however it looks like you might be serving mixed content - which means you are linking to HTTP assets when serving the page over HTTPS - browsers will block subsequent requests for assets (CSS, Images, Javascript etc) over an insecure HTTP connection. This can cause your page to look broken and trigger warnings in most modern browsers. The good news is it's relatively simple to fix this:

How do I fix the SSL Mixed Content Error Message?

Please help.. dont know what to do :) thanks..

Tecca
Tecca Nov 22 '15
Hey Richard,

Your site seems to only load over HTTP and not HTTPS, unless it's a different website in question. Make sure you change your ow_includes/config.php file:

define('OW_URL_HOME', 'https://www.example.com/');

ross Team
ross Nov 22 '15
Bryan +1

Richard, also please take a look at these search results: http://www.oxwall.org/...se&submit=Submit

ketkew
ketkew Nov 23 '15

Quote from Richard Beltran

I contact cloudflare support to let them activate their free universal ssl on my site and this is what they replied to me:

Hi Richard,

Universal SSL is already active for your site however it looks like you might be serving mixed content - which means you are linking to HTTP assets when serving the page over HTTPS - browsers will block subsequent requests for assets (CSS, Images, Javascript etc) over an insecure HTTP connection. This can cause your page to look broken and trigger warnings in most modern browsers. The good news is it's relatively simple to fix this:

How do I fix the SSL Mixed Content Error Message?

Please help.. dont know what to do :) thanks..

The protocol relative URLs was my advise also in this topic but it seems that this is not on the high priority list. :(

I would love +1 to Bryan's comment (because the configuration for SSL is possible for the complete website), but it doesn't work because of the automated "https" conversion resulted in dead/broken links and URLs in case third part URL doesn's support https...
The Forum post is edited by ketkew Nov 23 '15