We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Update plugins & Theme seems ok but.... | Forum

Silvio
Silvio Nov 18 '14
I've recently upgraded (and changed server) from 1.6 to 1.7.1 .. everything works and i see notification to update plugins.. i update them all (i see from which version to the new version advice) and it's ok... no more warning about updating something... i refresh the page i go round the website and admin panel and it's ok.. i log out.... i log in again and it asks again to update the 14 plugins.

I update them all again and i see they are the old version... where i could check for something? i lack ideas on where to do troubleshooting.

Regards Silvio
Kelvin
Kelvin Nov 18 '14
What plugins show update notification?
Silvio
Silvio Nov 18 '14
i do right now an example.. i go on Activity notifications and do update

it says:

PLUGIN UPDATE REQUEST

Are you sure you want to update 'Activity notifications' plugin from version 6944 to8000?

i go further.. give credential for ftp, it says ok and if i return to the plugins page seems updated.. also the need update items are not anymore 14 but 13...

but if i log off and log on again it says still 14 plugins needing updates and the activity notification is still version 6944
Attachments:
  ox.jpg (57Kb)
Kelvin
Kelvin Nov 18 '14
You must update your theme to latest version first then update plugins.
Kelvin
Kelvin Nov 18 '14
Because old theme won't support Oxwall 1.7.1 version. Then any new updated plugins won't work.
Silvio
Silvio Nov 18 '14
yes.. i've first upgraded theme then plugins.. and the problem is the same... i just noticed that file dates into ow_plugins are old.. so i suppose that update does not overwrite files... i must investigate in this but it's strange that admin panel says it's ok....

Kelvin
Kelvin Nov 18 '14
Is your site new or got a lot of active members ?
Silvio
Silvio Nov 18 '14
are you asking me to reinstall it? :) 350+ members.. quite new... i was on a vps and i transferred server on a new one (wp+oxwall). maybe is just permission problems.. i'll try a chmod 777 on a plugin and try to reinstall it.. if doesnt work i'll simple try do deinstall, delete and reinstall and check differences :)

i'll let u know the results
Kelvin
Kelvin Nov 18 '14
ha ha you are smart sir :) 350+ members is no good to do a fresh install. You are right. probably is permission issue. Just try more. and don't forget to backup your whole site. Because members' info and media files are important.
ross Team
ross Nov 18 '14
Silvio, no need to reinstall the software. 

Do the following: 

update the plugins

go to the ow_plugins/photo/plugin.xml file

open it and check the build of the plugin

then go to the store download photo plugin and make sure that the build is the same as in the plugin you downloaded from the store

if the issue you described occurs again, provide us with the screenshot of the steps above and the screenshot of the plugin.xml file when the issue occurs again. 

Silvio
Silvio Nov 28 '14
solution was to remove plugin, directory and reinstall it.. now (seems) everything works.. i've a couple of other bugs i'm trying to solve... if i'm not able i'll ask for help.. I hope my solution will help someone if they find problema in updating ;)
ross Team
ross Nov 30 '14
Plugin directory or what? Can you please specify?
Silvio
Silvio Dec 1 '14
i uninstalled the plugin then manually removed the directory.. then reinstalled the plugin (old version.. cause i saved the old zip file).. update this time worked...
ross Team
ross Dec 1 '14
Silvio, do you mean that if you uninstall the plugin like contact importer, after deleting it from the available plugins section, the contact importer folder remains in the ow_plugins folder?

To what directory are you referring to?

The Forum post is edited by ross Dec 1 '14
Silvio
Silvio Dec 1 '14
I try to explain what i discovered im my case.. hoping it will be helpful for you and others.
I upgraded from 1.6 to 1.7.1 then i saw a lot of upgrade requests.

I upgraded everything then warning about upgrades was disappearing.. but if i was going to logout and login again the warning about update was still there.. To solve the problem i've uninstalled from panel the plugin (example virtual gifts)... i went under ow_incused/plugins (sorry i do not rememeber the correct name of the dirs because i cannot connect right now to the server) and done a nice rm -Rf of the dir (Important.. i noticed that the date stamp of the file was still the old one.. like if udpate did not reach to overwrite files).
So i recovered the zip file of the plugin and give it back to oxwall and let it install... activated and so i proceeded again for the update.. and worked

ross Team
ross Dec 1 '14
Silvio, this is really weird. 

There's something wrong with the permissions on your server, which prevent to override files. 

we'll be very grateful if you allow us to look deeper into the issue. As it is very unusual. 

Keep in mind that we have to do some testing on your website, like installing old versions of plugin, trying to update them etc. 

If you ok with that, please send us access details to your Cpanel and admin details to the website. Thank you in advance.