We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Installation Issue - FTP Accesss - Correctable or Start Over? | Forum

Dick
Dick Dec 5 '14
Hello,

I am new to Oxwall and have not been able to connect by FTP for updates so far and would appreciate some guidance to a solution.

I have read every post in the forum on the subject and tried every possible FTP access form filling combination possible before making this posting.

I have verified with Ross that the correct Oxwall IP address has been added to my FTP access by white list only list as well as allowed in my .htaccess file.

I think that I may have made some errors during the installation process and I would like to know if they are correctable or if I have to reinstall Oxwall in order to try to resolve my issue.

When I originally downloaded the Oxwall software, I specified a username and password for an SFTP account but then discovered that I had to manually upload the software since Oxwall is not currently SFTP compatible.

Now that the software is uploaded, my original username and password do not seem to allow FTP access and there appears to be no way to change the credentials in the ow_includes/config.php file without causing an error.

I have also tried creating a new FTP account specifically for Oxwall as described here:
 https://docs.oxwall.org/...plugins-and-themes?s[]=cpanel
but the new login credentials do not work either.

I would ideally like to have the capability to update the software, plugins and themes conveniently by FTP in the admin area.

I wonder if my installation issues can be corrected or if I need to start over and reinstall in order to have the FTP access capability?

Any advice and assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Zsolt Biro
Zsolt Biro Dec 6 '14
hi,

almost the same request here.

I would like to create an ftp access to update the plugins.

please help step by step way.

regards,

Heri Bender
Heri Bender Dec 18 '14
Have you fully access to your server? Then watch your FTP log file while trying the update in admin panel. And compare to my experiences described in http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/27870

Dick
Dick Dec 18 '14
Hello,

Thank you for the reply and helpful information. I read your forum topic and find that is a very interesting discovery. Unfortunately, I do not have direct access to the server FTP log file. I am having my server managed and will try to coordinate an admin panel update and FTP log file capture for review.

I was hoping that admin FTP updates would happen correctly right out of the box, especially with the number and frequency of updates to process.

I'm wondering if my bigger problem is that when I downloaded and installed the Oxwall software, I specified a username and password for an SFTP account but then discovered that I had to manually upload the software since Oxwall is not currently SFTP compatible.

Once that was done, I seem to be locked out from using FTP for updates since my SFTP user is different and apparently can't be changed without config.php errors.

I'm just trying to find out if my current installation can be fixed or if I have to download and install Oxwall all over again with an FTP (not SFTP) user account in order to correct this issue?

I was hoping that Ross or some member of the staff would reply and offer assistance when they were available.

I greatly appreciate your help since I am brand new to Oxwall.
ross Team
ross Jan 6 '15
Dick you need to give FTP user you currently use ownsership for directory where the software is via SSH, the command is : chown -R FTPuser:FTPuser public_html
Dick
Dick Jan 8 '15
Ross, thank you for the reply and information. I will ask my server manager to try that and see if that works.
ross Team
ross Jan 8 '15
Alright, keep us updated.