We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Group Comments do not display in the Main Page | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Rasoul
Rasoul Dec 28 '11
why do not display Group Comments  in the Main Page?
Michael Leader
Michael Jan 5 '12
I would have thought that because a person has to join a group to see the comments and activity that anyone who wasn't a member of that group would not want to see the activity therefore it is left off the newsfeed.
Forum activity is available to everyone which is why it is available.

Because the newsfeed is a simple feed for the site and not custom to each person this is probably why group activity is not showing.

Just my thoughts.
Michael I.
Michael I. Jan 11 '12
Michael is absolutely right about the Groups' functionality.
Lisa
Lisa Aug 2 '12
Sorry to resurrect this topic - but I would think that group activity should show up in a user's dashboard (for their groups) yet this doesn't seem to happen. Where exactly (other than email notifications) should users be able to see new activity (like group forum posts and newsfeed updates) from their groups other than manually checking each of their groups in turn?
Michael I.
Michael I. Aug 7 '12
Only statuses from private groups are not displayed in Newsfeed. What exactly you'd change about the behavior of the Groups newsfeed?
The Forum post is edited by Michael I. Aug 7 '12
Lisa
Lisa Aug 7 '12

My site does not (yet) have "private gruops". By "private" I assume you mean visible only by invitation? All our site's groups are public (so far) meaning ANYONE can join, anyone can see the group and anyone can invite others to the group.

Alslo - I'm not referring to the group's newsfeed. I'm referring to the site newsfeed versus the user's "dashboard". Currently, if I am a member of a group (we'll call it GROUP1) and someone posts a new forum topic or posts to the wall of that group, I receive no notification. I don't see the activity reflected in the site's newsfeed (on main page) nor do I see the activity reflected on my personal dashboard. I understand that only members of a particular group are going to want to see new activity - but in that case, I assume that group activity updates should show up on my personal newsfeed (on my dashboard) - yet other than new members joining groups, it doesn't. This seems odd to me.

Currently, the ONLY way for me to see new activity in my groups on the site is to check each group's page manually for new activity.

There must be a way to improve this? It's a poor user experience when nothing shows you new activity in your groups without you checking each individually. What if you are a member of dozens of groups?

The Forum post is edited by Lisa Aug 7 '12
Soloplayer Designs
Soloplayer Designs Aug 7 '12
yes, no newsfeed entry when a user left a comment on a group. This should be on the bug report.
Lisa
Lisa Aug 7 '12

Quote from OWDesigns yes, no newsfeed entry when a user left a comment on a group. This should be on the bug report.

Does this mean that a newsfeed entry SHOULD be appearing in user dashboard newsfeeds for group activity?
Michael I.
Michael I. Sep 6 '12
Comments in groups are not displayed in a user's Newsfeed. Just imagine how would your Newsfeed look like if you are a member of a group with 100 extremely active users? There would be only comments from that group in your Newsfeed.
Lisa
Lisa Sep 6 '12

Does a user's friends activity in groups show up on the user's dashboard? IE if Bob and Jane are friended, will Bob see Jane's activity in groups on Bob's Dashboard?

I guess my question is - shouldn't there be an option (like "follow this group" or "subscribe") so that people who want to see group activity on their dashboard can?

Our site has a number of groups that are (so far) fairly quiet/inactive, so it can be a long time before someone notices there is a new post in one of their groups - there's currently no notification system. This just seems odd to me.

Think about other social networks... What if .. on Facebook, you didn't see new activity from pages or groups you joined unless you went to look at the page directly. Most users would just ignore it right? Same concept here. If a user has to go to the group manually to see if there's any new content, that's creating inconvenience around the use of groups.

What if there was some sort of "new" notification on the My Groups page, something like a badge or flag that would let people know there is new activity in a particular group they're a member of?

The Forum post is edited by Lisa Sep 6 '12
Alia Team
Alia Sep 14 '12
Dear Lisa, consider  posting a suggestion to http://oxwall.uservoice.com/...deas-for-oxwall ; and we will implement it if your suggestion get enough votes and we find it reasonable to implement
Lisa
Lisa Sep 14 '12
Can you answer my question below, first, so I know how to frame my suggestion on Uservoice?
Quote from Lisa

Does a user's friends activity in groups show up on the user's dashboard? IE if Bob and Jane are friended, will Bob see Jane's activity in groups on Bob's Dashboard?

Alia Team
Alia Sep 17 '12
Dear Lisa, Bob will not see Jane's activity in groups on his dashboard.
Lisa
Lisa Sep 17 '12
So, I don't see new group activity anywhere nor do I see the group activity of my friends. Wow, big gap in the program here.

A: I can't see when my friends (who are members of same group) post new activity in groups.

B: I can't see new group activity on my OWN newsfeed.

C: The ONLY way for me to view new group activity is by manually going to each group and manually checking for new activity.

This doesn't seem like "suggestion" material. This seems like it's just broken....

Alia Team
Alia Sep 17 '12
Dear Lisa,  a small clarification. Bob will not see Jane's activity in groups on his dashboard IF THEY ARE NOT IN THE SAME GROUP.  So if Bob and Jane are friends and they happen to be in the same group, both Jane and Bob will see each other's activities in groups on their OWN newseeds. Basically if you are member of the group, you will see new group activity on your own newsfeed.
Igor
Igor May 6 '18

I have the same issue but it's not static. It means that when I post to the public group, it shows up in the main newsfeed, but once something else appeared on the main feed (such as user joined and liked or post directly to main newsfeed), group posts stop appearing in the main feed.

I see it happening the same way on several different oxwalls and I can't find where in the phpMyAdmin?