We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Contact Us Plugin / Cron??? | Forum

Fred
Fred Jan 2 '12
First, this is just an incredible great job to everyone here at Oxwall, kudos for supplying a great platform....

I have read, and read, I have croned more than I probably should have, I have changed file permissions to get this "Contact us" to work... About to just give up and not use it... Using this script on a Church Site and everything but this works perfectly...

In very simple (Remember I can barely install this script) words for a dumb guy like me using this and Hostmonster why it just won't send the email to me??? The mass mailing test says it is working correctly but this plugin is the most stubborn I have ever tried... 

Anyone who had a similar experience or a fix; it would be greatly appreciated??? (BTW, did the update to 1.2.6. still no fixing it) 
Fred
Fred Jan 3 '12

(Cricket, cricket)

Anyone??

Michael I.
Michael I. Jan 4 '12
Fred, do you have Cron Jobs set up properly on your server? Do you receive any other emails from your website (like Forgot Password, Welcome Letter, etc)? If you receive those emails, Mass Mailing most probably doesn't work because of the incorrect Cron Jobs settings. And if you never receive emails from your website, that is the mail server issue.
Fred
Fred Jan 4 '12
Doesn't seem to be getting anything...

/ramdisk/bin/php5 -f /public_html/Path to/ow_cron/run.php

This is correct for cpanel, hostmonster????
Michael I.
Michael I. Jan 5 '12
I am not sure if this is a correct path, try testing it via SSH. But if you don't receive any emails at all, that means you have issue with the mail server. Consider about contacting your hosting company about this.
Fred
Fred Jan 5 '12
OK, for a pretty stupid guy like me; what is SSH, and how do I do that????

Thanks again for all your help - good to see someone stepping up for newbies like me...
Michael Leader
Michael Jan 5 '12
Mulder hit the nail on the head...
You should contact your host support and ask them the correct path needed for running cron.

SSH is comand line access to your webserver account where you can run the command for the cron job and it will show you an output and any errors which will help diagnose.  If you don't know what it is, best not to dabble in it.

Michael I.
Michael I. Jan 5 '12
Yeah, have to agree with Michael - I forgot that you had troubles with the installation, which makes me think checking Cron via SSH is not the best idea then.

As Michael said, it would be better asking your hosting company to check Cron Jobs on your server account (you can give them a link to Documentation) than doing it by yourself. And ask them to check the mail server if you never received emails from your website.
Fred
Fred Jan 5 '12
OK, called my host and after about a half hour, they got the cron all figured out, something wrong in another file code they fixed, then BAM... 

Everything works so awesome, my online members are no longer online, I get the registration, I get password reset emails, I got everything except the contact us plug in to work....

I'm so fricken jazzed, even got some plugin updates in my admin...

Don't have the energy to call them again yet to fix the contact us file, but damn I'm a happy camper now...

Thanks again for your help, if I didn't tell them to look at the SSH (Had no clue what I was talking about) then they wouldn't have found the other error...

Fred
Fred Jan 5 '12
Guess what; problem completely resolved!!! A+ software guys...

For those on HostMonster, you have to set the port to 26 in the SMTP setting's... After that I got like 55 test mails I been sending for the last 4 days...

OXWALL rocks....

P.S. If you ever figure out the drop down menu script or plugin, I will bake you guys a cake...

Thanks for everything.... Fred
hena
hena Feb 21 '23
Cron Jobs is a simple, drive mad but powerful plugin that will help you to manage your site cron jobs easily. ... Get help and documentation about cron job