We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

WYSIWYG Editors Review | Forum

Fred
Fred Jan 25 '15
Hello All, 

I am the idiot that bought 3 different editors to get exactly what I wanted on my site. So, thought it would be helpful to give this review on them. Keep in mind this is for 1.7.2

1. The alternate Site CKeditor needs to be updated, causes all kinds of errors including freezing up the buttons on upper right, they freeze, no drop down happens. No smilies and can't figure out how to add. It messes up the custom HTML widget too.

2. WYSIWYG Editor by Aron: no customizing to fit your theme, no uploading for video's, doesn't support the HTML widget. The new version has been coming since the release of 1.7.2. Has smiles though and does work for quote feature, just looks weird on any custom theme.

3. Cool CK Editor: support sucks, he's been working on the update since the release of 1.7.2. Only shows up in forum, does work on  pictures, smiles, HTML. Really messes up the quote feature and HTML widget where it doesn't even let you hit the save button.

4. Wysiwyg editor - TinyMce 4 by Love Oxwall: is by far the best for 1.7.2. It has ability to change theme to match yours, the photo and video works now, the quote feature works and has smileys. He was able to fix the support for HTML widget. Only downside to this one is the width of the editor in the frame of the HTML widget; looks funky, but works. Ability to customize your buttons for your members was another huge plus. Only thing that doesn't work is the spell checker.

Kudos to Love Oxwall: support, functionality, looks good and works to custom themes. A +

Harry
Harry Jan 28 '15
If you think you're an idiot, then you clearly haven't met me.  I'm quite sure I can outdo anything you've got.  lol.  Thanks for the run down, and don't forget about the kudos to you.

Harry.
The Forum post is edited by Harry Jan 28 '15
Fred
Fred Jan 30 '15
OK folks, seriously; this guy Love Oxwall is fricken awesome. Check this out, Editor displays in all the HTML widgets on my site and he actually helped me with the size. It's now about 3/4 of my page big; my members love it, now they have an editor they can use in a big style versus that little html box that use to pop up. Dang he is a kick ass developer...

Den Team
Den Feb 2 '15
Topic was moved from Oxwall Store.
Den Team
Den Feb 2 '15
Fred,

Nice comparison, no doubt, it will be helpful for others. Also, It could be more productive if you will spend a few minutes and submit your review for each of them separately. So, everyone, who is searching for the same plugin will be able to read your feedback.  

The topic will go down in a few days here. 

Thank you.

Fred
Fred Feb 19 '15
OK, thanks...
Michele
Michele May 13 '15

Hi Fred! 

I'm looking for a plug in to have a  Wysiwyg for my Users that could *Go IN* their Profile Questions/ Sections that can allow them to post write ups w pics inserted, for them to embed things, .. etc, all in one text section.

A WAY TO GET A WYSIWYG EDITOR FOR USERS FOR THEIR PROFILE QUESTIONS/ SECTIONS  

http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/36569?page=1#post-147337  I was just posting about this and was referred to your review! 

Can you tell me if TinyMce shows up in the section where Users can customize their own profile, if you turn on the ability for them to do so? 

This guy seemed to be asking the same question as me but no one ever answered him, as well

http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/33604

Thank u!! 

Megan
Megan May 16 '15
Was there ever a response to find out if the TinyMce editor worked for the user profiles?  
Michele
Michele May 16 '15
I did buy the Cool CK one and was very disappointed that this seemed to be one of the only areas that it *Didn't* work on!

Definitely can't buy TinyMce until I get an answer.... and no response yet on my forum question on the plug in. Just sent Love Oxwall a private message today... hopefully he'll see that a bit sooner :) 

If anyone else knows the answer feel please do let us know!  It would be so helpful! 

Musik
Musik May 18 '15
Thanks for this, Fred. It helped guide my decision.

I'm currently working with Love Oxwall and his TinyMce 4 editor. Great support so far and it's the best text editor I've used thus far on my 2-year-old Oxwall site.

Michele
Michele May 18 '15
I did get a response and Love Oxwall has been AMAZING, as they'll customize as to what areas you need! Can't wait to implement my TinyMce 4, by them!! 

Here was the post to my question on their page!

http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/36756