We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

[Solution available] Remove "Rate This" In Photo Area - 1.7.2v | Forum

Wilson
Wilson Jan 27 '15
I wish to remove the "rating" and "tag" area on the PHOTO pages. Tried using inspect element and some css codes but none worked right...s here I am again.

Wilson
The Forum post is edited by Alia May 18 '15
Wilson
Wilson Jan 28 '15

Hey S.Williams,

hmmm I saw that css code .ow_rates_wrap span but I just didn't add the span after .ow_rates_wrap good job! I have these already in place:

.ow_photo_comment_count {display: none} /*takes out all comments count*/
.ow_rates {display: none} /*takes out rating star area in photos in all areas */

Your css code does work and is what I was looking for, here's what it dose:
.ow_rates_wrap span {display: none} /*takes out the word Rating and the word Total count only in all areas*/

Now if you'll looking to take "Top Rated" menu button and others...here's the css code to do that as well:

li._menu_my_photos {display: none} /*takes out 'my photos" link on main photo page when loggedin*/
li._toprated {display: none} /*takes out browse by toprated tag link*/
li._tagged {display: none} /* takes out browse by tagged link*/

as you can see these code are li.

Disregard the "Tag"comment, I copy and pasted the question and forgot to take that out.

To all that the read this...Remember that when you use css coding in your admin/theme/css area, you don't lose your modifications.

Again S.Williams +1 for the help...keep it coming! Hope my input helps others too!

Wilson

The Forum post is edited by Wilson Jan 28 '15
Michele
Michele May 17 '15
I'm kind of a novice at this... haha. 

I'm looking for the ability to take out the Rating system & the Comment/ Wall section entirely in *Blogs*

And the Comment section in the Pics. Can anyone help me with this... don't have a lot of money but I'd probably be able to throw a few dollars your way. 

Help would be sooo appreciated :) 

And when ya say "when you use css coding,. . you don't lose your modifications" does this mean that in every huge New Platform Release that we have to download/ upload, that their code won't override our code modifications that we have made in the past? Thanks! 

Alia Team
Alia May 18 '15
To remove Rating and Comments/Wall section from "Blogs" within the source code.

Following files are responsible for adding those two components to "View Blog" page.
Functionality: ow_plugins/blogs/controllers/view.php
Visual representation: ow_plugins/blogs/views/controllers/view_index.html

So to remove those items you can do one of the following:
- edit both .php and .html files -will completely remove those features.
- edit only .html file - will remove items visually only.

I think that the easiest way in your case is simply hiding those components visually. To hide them:
- open ow_plugins/blogs/views/controllers/view_index.html
- find following two variables there {$rate}   and  {$comments}
- comment out those variables. Ex: {* {$rate} *}
- save your changes
- enable DEV mode ( set to "true")  in ow_includes/config.php to regenerate site's cache.
- view any blog post. Rates and Comments blocks should not be there anymore.
- disable DEV mode ( very important, otherwise your site's speed will drop down).

This is considered as source code modification and those changes might be erased if you update "Blogs" plugin future.

To remove comments from photo view page:

You can simply hide "Comments" component by adding following custom CSS in Admin Panel >> Appearance >> Edit Theme >> CSS tab >> Edit css box.

.ow_photoview_info .ow_comments_form_wrap  {
display:none;
}

.ow_photoview_info .ow_comments_list {
display:none;
}

Those changes are considered more of "configuration" therefore custom CSS won't be lost if you update the plugin in future. But you might have to adjust your custom CSS in case if in future updates of "Photo" plugin we start using another class names.

If something can be done via custom CSS, we recommend doing this via CSS.
Modify the source code only when you don't have any other alternatives.

Michele
Michele May 18 '15
Aliia!!! Thank you Soo~Sooo Much!!! This is GREAT!!! I'm sure it's goin to help a lot of people customize how they need!! 

(smilee) 

Michele
Michele May 22 '15
I just want to thank you again so much Aliia! I tried your very Clear and PERFECT instructions on the blog (still deciding if I want to disable all photo comments or not) and even though I have 0 website backend experience (I didn't even know what ftp was until a day ago haha),  I was able to make the changes our site needs! 

One last question about blogs, if the above was easy enough, is there someway to change the word Tags to Categories, and most importantly so the tags/ categories don't look a jumbled together blob, have it displayed with a space between them? 

So say 

Blog

Tags/ (Now Categories)

Member spotlights

(a line or space here) 

Faqs

(a line or space here) 

etc? 

Alia Team
Alia May 25 '15
Hello Michelle, I will get back to you regarding the tags in a separate topic I created for you: http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/37083