We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Changed Hosting Service & Now Have Some Problems | Forum

Paul
Paul Feb 6 '12
I've just moved hosting service but when the files were transferred the CHMOD settings didn't transfer correctly for some reason.

I have set the directories that need the permissions set to 777 as far as I know but I am experiencing two problems (so far), which I believe are due to incorrect CHMOD permissions somewhere - hence one topic for this rather than two because I think it's the same problem.

My two problems are:-

(a) when I update a page that I've created using the Admin--->Pages & Menu--->Add Item system, the changes are not saved and the page contents revert back to what is already there
(b) uploaded photos are not showing and when one adds photos they don't appear anywhere.  I have attached a screenshot showing what the Photo page shows when clicked.

I know you folks at Oxwall are brilliant and will be able to tell me which directory or directories I've missed when I set the permissions.

Many thanks

Paul
Attachments:
  mg_photo_page.jpg (113.8Kb)
Paul
Paul Feb 6 '12
Members are now able to upload photos to the site and they now appear just fine but the old photos don't show at all.

When one adds a customised page using the   Admin--->Pages & Menu--->Add Item route, the page name changes from the assigned name to "base+local_page_content_page_66007824"

Again, I think it's all something to do with the file permissions!
Michael Leader
Michael Feb 7 '12
I have had something the same/similar to this and it turned out the database is trying to reference the files using your old hosting account. 

This happened to me with my photos and also old newsfeed references.
I looked through the database to find where the reference was pointing to then ran a query to replace the text that matched the old reference to have the new reference it.  seconds later the site was 100%
It takes a while to find the problem.  Always backup the db before working on it.  Ideally if you can, create a second clone site and test there before applying to any live site.
Paul
Paul Feb 7 '12
Thanks for that reply Michael - it makes sense but I don't know how to correct it. 

Can you explain in a little more depth what I need - assume you're having to explain to a complete and utter moron (you might not be far wrong if you assume that!!).

Where in the database do I need to look to find where the references currently point to and how do I do determine where they need to point to? 

I'm learning all this programming and SQL stuff on the hoof and I'm not the brightest of people.  In fact, I sometimes make Forest Gump look like a genius!!

Your help is greatly appreciated

Michael Leader
Michael Feb 7 '12
http://matesgate.biz/ow_userfiles/plugins/photo/photo_preview_14378.jpg
This shows the preview of the image

http://matesgate.biz/ow_userfiles/plugins/photo/photo_14378.jpg
This shows the image

The number represents the ID in the database.

http://matesgate.biz/ow_userfiles/plugins/photo/photo_preview_14377.jpg

Doesn't exist.

http://matesgate.biz/ow_userfiles/plugins/photo/photo_14377.jpg
Nor does this.

Not Found

The requested URL /ow_userfiles/plugins/photo/photo_14377.jpg was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.21 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.21 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 PHP/5.3.9 Server at matesgate.biz Port 80

You will need to locate those files in your backup and re-upload them to /ow_userfiles/plugins/photo  Ignore the thing about the db referenceing the old site.  That only applied to the newsfeed.  Your problem may be simple.
Paul
Paul Feb 7 '12
Thank you for that Michael - I know what to do to sort out the photos now! 

The other problem that I have, as stated in my original post, is that when I try to edit custom pages made through the Admin panel (Admin--->Pages & Menu--->Add Item) the changes don't save although it does tell me that the update is successful.  And if I try to create a new page, the page is renamed to something like "base+local_page_content_page_66007824"

You're a genius Michael - how do I sort this problem out?

Again, your help is greatly appreciated and I don't mind telling you that my site wouldn't even be half the success it is without your help!
Michael Leader
Michael Feb 7 '12
load firebug into firefox and check thru the errors.
There is one that says

syntax errorsetTimeout('MyReload()', )and a few other ones.  (most are photo related)

This may be related and may be of help but I am just guessing.
http://bytes.com/...23-settimeout-syntax

recheck your chmod permissions.   Make sure they are right.

The Forum post is edited by Michael Feb 7 '12
Paul
Paul Feb 7 '12
Thanks Michael - I told you I'm not too bright with this so now I'm completely lost.

As far as I know, the CHMOD permissions are correctly set - I have checked, double checked and checked again but there is still something wrong.

Do you have any idea where the pages created via Admin--->Pages & Menu--->Add Item  are stored?  I mean which file or folder? 

I thought originally that the contents were stored in the database but they don't appear to be, only the page titles and references which appear in the database as page_1234567.  However, when one looks for files with that reference it doesn't appear to exist.

Sorry for being a pain but this is making my head hurt a lot!!

Many thanks
Mark
Mark Feb 7 '12
another thing to check is that the files were uploaded in the correct FTP mode, images upload in ASCII mode and everything else in binary (i think that's right, it may well be the other way round)

you could always quickly do a fresh install with new files and a new database because at least that way you will know if the problems are being caused by the new host or not.

Michael I.
Michael I. Feb 8 '12
Paul, check permissions for the ow_pluginfiles/base/ folder. Set them to 777 and 666 for the lang_1.php file inside of that folder. Make sure file owner is user 'nobody'. Then go to the Admin Panel > Language and click Save This Page button on any page.

Let me know if this doesn't fix the issue.
Paul
Paul Feb 8 '12
@aka_le_Mulder - sir, you are an absolute genius.  If you were here beside me right now I would hug you and kiss you, even though you're not my type!!

Thank you so much to everyone who has helped - particularly Michael and aka_le_Mulder for providing solutions that worked.

You guys are just brilliant and I really, really appreciate your assistance!
Michael Leader
Michael Feb 8 '12
I notice i didnt get the offer of a hug and kiss!!!   LOL!
no probs...
Paul
Paul Feb 8 '12
The offer is extended to you too Michael.  Heck, I'm going to get a bit of a dodgy reputation around here!

Seriously, all help is greatly appreciated by me and when I become the next internet millionnaire, I'm sure I'll have a cent or two to spare for you guys!
Michael I.
Michael I. Feb 10 '12
Just a cent or two? :) Glad I could help you.
Cartonic
Cartonic Mar 28 '12

Quote from Michael I have had something the same/similar to this and it turned out the database is trying to reference the files using your old hosting account. 

This happened to me with my photos and also old newsfeed references.
I looked through the database to find where the reference was pointing to then ran a query to replace the text that matched the old reference to have the new reference it.  seconds later the site was 100%
It takes a while to find the problem.  Always backup the db before working on it.  Ideally if you can, create a second clone site and test there before applying to any live site.

I might think I have the same problem. I've searched and found nothing to solve my problem. Since I'm not too smart is there a way to give me atleast one advice how you done that?
Michael Leader
Michael Mar 30 '12
Umm,
It was just a lot of looking through my database, finding the offending entries, export the table out to notepad, do a find and replace and then re-import to the database.
(All done on a test server first and verified it worked)

Easy to do (when you know how) but takes an age to do if you want to be careful and protect your site.
Cartonic
Cartonic Mar 30 '12

Quote from Michael Umm,
It was just a lot of looking through my database, finding the offending entries, export the table out to notepad, do a find and replace and then re-import to the database.
(All done on a test server first and verified it worked)

Easy to do (when you know how) but takes an age to do if you want to be careful and protect your site.

Uh, thanks alot scarring me :/
I had same sort of thing, as I tought. The folks hosting my site were kind to help me and now it's just like new.