We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Messaging Plugin Not Working.[Solved] | Forum

Kev
Kev Feb 22 '15
I've had nothing but problem after problem with the Oxwall messaging system. So much so, that I'm actually considering leaving Oxwall as the stability is far from good.

Anyway, that aside, on to my latest problem...

I was having problems whereby when sending a message (not a chat conversation, a private message), the system would let you create the message, but once you hit send, the subject would always change to "15", and the message content would simply say "Send".

This isn't happening on my dev site, so I tried un-installing and deleting the Messages plugin, then checking that the DB tables were gone, and then re-installing the plugin. However, when I do this, the messaging plugin won't install correctly, and on the notifications bar, I get the following:

As you can see, it is far from right. I really need urgent help on this please guys. All the problems I'm having with Oxwall are starting to get embarrassing.

Thanks,

Kev

The Forum post is edited by ross Feb 24 '15
ross Team
ross Feb 22 '15
Kev, we need you to reproduce the issue with "15" subject on our demo and provide the exact steps how to do that. Because we cannot reproduce the issue. 

As to the empty keys, go the Languages section and find this key: mailbox+message_console title and check whether it has a value, if it does, click on the "Save this page" button in the bottom and see if the issue persists. 

To search by keys in the Languages section you need to enter this url: www.site.com/admin/dev-tools/languages and you'll get a checkbox next to the search area which says "In keys"

Kev
Kev Feb 23 '15
No, it isn't there. When I try to install the Messages plugin, I get a blank screen, so it seems to be that the plugin isn't installing correctly.

I was going to add the key manually, but there is no "messages" option within the section list. Which makes it look like the plugin isn't installing correctly.

With regards to reproducing the problem. I simply went to send a couple of messages yesterday, and noticed that this was happening. Nothing has changed, so I have no idea why it would have happened.

The Forum post is edited by Kev Feb 23 '15
Kev
Kev Feb 23 '15
I can upload the messages plugin just fine, but when I hit the install button, I get a blank screen, and the URL is:

http://mysite.com/admin/plugins/install/key/mailbox/

I then hit the back button, go back to the plugin list, and "messages" is listed, but it clearly isn't working correctly.

Kev
Kev Feb 23 '15
Also, this is just the messaging plugin. I can install other plugins. I just tested it with the "Links" plugin and that's fine.
ross Team
ross Feb 23 '15
Kev, make sure, your server meets our requirements: http://www.oxwall.org/hosting

Make sure error_reporting is enabled on your server. While installing messages plugin, enable debug mode to catch the real error. 

Check your error_logs in order to find the error related to the time, when you install the messages plugin. 

If there's any, paste them here. 

Keep us updated. 

Kev
Kev Feb 24 '15
Hey Ross,

Thanks for coming back to me mate. Ok, so I enabled debug mode, and this is the output I got during installation:

Message:require_once(/file/path/removed/ow_plugins/mailbox/alloc.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directoryFile:/file/path/removed/ow_plugins/mailbox73/install.phpLine:

I've also got error_logs enabled, here's the output from my error log during the install:

[Tue Feb 24 10:02:37 2015] [warn] [client 151.228.19.110] mod_fcgid: stderr: PHP Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required '/file/path/removed/ow_plugins/mailbox/alloc.php' (include_path='.:') in /file/path/removed/ow_plugins/mailbox73/install.php on line 146, referer: http://motorbikecommunity.com/admin/available ;

As a test, just in case the download of the messages plugin was corrupt, I just tried downloading it again, but I'm still getting the same issue. I do use Amazon S3 for storage, but ow_plugins isn't stored on Amazon, so I don't think that's the issue. Plus the fact that I can install other plugins says it's not S3. Just thought I'd mention it.

My server does conform to all requirements.

Thanks.

ross Team
ross Feb 24 '15
Kev, seems like you tried to install the mailbox plugin twice without deleting it, as you can see there are two mailbox plugins in ow_plugins: mailbox and mailbox 73. 

Do you have any conversations on your website, you need? if not, uninstall mailbox plugin completely from your website. Don't forget to delete it from the available plugins section. 

Then go to your ow_plugins folder and remove mailbox73 folder. 

Then download new package and try to install it again. 

Kev
Kev Feb 24 '15
Weird! There wasn't a "mailbox73" folder within ow_plugins. However, there was a "mailbox" folder within that directory. So I removed the plugin, removed that folder, and re-installed. All seems to be working fine now.

I've just sent a test, and the "subject 15" issue is also resolved. I did try the mailbox pro plugin by Aron, then uninstalled it. Do you think that may have caused some kind of corruption? If so, is it worth me letting the developer know, do you think?

Ross, I've said it before, and I'll say it again - you my friend, are a legend. Thanks buddy.

ross Team
ross Feb 24 '15
Well, the 15 subject issue, been reported earlier by some member, I can't remember his name. He had only default mailbox plugin, but we could not reproduce the issue even on his website, although he claimed that the issue persists on his website. 

Which is why we need the exact steps how to reproduce the issue. It would be great if you could do that on our demo website. 

I'm going to mark this thread as Solved for now. If you find the way to reproduce the issue, just let me know here in this thread or in PM. 

Kev
Kev Feb 24 '15
Will do. Thanks again.