We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Just Need To Know? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
jeo
jeo Feb 15 '12
I have been having loads of problems and errors on my site. So i was just wondering if i could just make a backup or copy of all members & passwords/usernames details so they could login on a new script with out everything els "mean" videos, photos, groups & etc.

What im trying to do is start fresh but just keep my members!

I be very happy if this is possible and someone can help or advice me to do this? Thanks
Michael Leader
Michael Feb 15 '12
You can but it is a bit time consuming.  The problems you are having with your site IS recoverable...  Once we find out what the problem is.

I will have a look at your site soon, as per PM.

(We really must get you running again!)

jeo
jeo Feb 15 '12
thanks i pm you :)
jeo
jeo Feb 15 '12
thanks i pm you :)
jeo
jeo Feb 16 '12
Can any help me wit this or not ?
jeo
jeo Feb 18 '12
Please someone can you just tell me how i could just have a back up of my members only so i can use the latest platform as mind keeps messing up with error 500! I dnt want the over plugins n software backed up just only members so i can import then to a new script and they can sign in like normal with usernames/emails and passwords? thanks
Shaun
Shaun Feb 18 '12

I know i am clutching at straws here but is there anyway you could download the user database from your hosting control panel.

Then do a clean install of oxwall and import the database.

Im not sure and i would attempt it on my own but softculous has an option like that somewher i think.

Sorry it's not much help and i hope someone on the oxwall team jumps in to help you on this one.

Also i use the oxwall data exporter to back up my site. If not you could try using that then use the Data importer to re add all your members. theye are available through the oxwall store and they are free addons.

Hope you get sorted m8.

jeo
jeo Feb 18 '12
thanks for trying mate :) how can i find the database in cpanel and import it?
Michael I.
Michael I. Feb 19 '12
You can find your database in phpMyAdmin section of your Cpanel. Then go to the export section and create a backup of your database data there.
Michael I.
Michael I. Feb 19 '12
Try googling how to make a database backup, jeo. Google rocks ;)
jeo
jeo Feb 19 '12
Ok i still cart find the database file in cpanel :( witch files do i look in like ow_corn or etc? thanks
Shaun
Shaun Feb 20 '12

Just a question for the team really? how easy is it to reintegrate the user database?

Just a note to the op. By doing this i belive you will loose all data re photo's video's, Bloggs and status updates. is that something your users are ready for?

jeo
jeo Feb 20 '12
hi shaun i get your point but what els can i do if i keep getting error 500 on the 1.3.1 oxwall update? i just haft to do this or any help on sorting error 500?
Shaun
Shaun Feb 20 '12

Does the site work well enough to install and make a back up of your site using the Data Exporter plugin.

Once you have your backup re - install fresh copy of oxwall.

Then use the the Data Importer plugin to return it to it's original state.

Admins would that work? or would it just re - import the Existing problem?

Really sorry im not much help but i only started trying to run a website myself last september so i am learning from the ground up myself.

Shaun
Shaun Feb 20 '12

Just anoter thought but have you considerd uninstalling the plugins that you dont want or are causing a problem one at time to see if the problem is only with the plugins and not the core oxwall software.

I only ask because i had lots of trouble with my blogs plugin i.e. error 500. To solve it i just unistalled the pluging. deleted the plugin from my list of available plugings. then re downloaded the bloggs plugin from the oxwall store. used ftp to upload it. re installed and not had a problem since.

If your planning on compleetly deleeting anyway why not go one plugin at a time and see if you can salvage anything before going to the last resort

jeo
jeo Feb 20 '12
Great Idea mate but all my plugins was updated but i had problems with the credits plugin :( so i unstalled it but still was getting the error 500 :( so i ended up importing an old backup and lost loads of members & stuff since xmas, so im not shore what to do.
Den Team
Den Feb 21 '12

Quote from Shaun then re downloaded the bloggs plugin from the oxwall store. used ftp to upload it. re installed and not had a problem since.

Guys, to solve 500 error you just need to update all your plugins to the latest version. Erasing an old version and installing a fresh from store will lose your data. If you don't see an update request for plugins in your admin area, try the manual update

Chris Bezuidenhout
Chris Bezuidenhout May 25 '12
I do a full data export every day at midnight normally it will be the yourusername_xwlx database the last x is a number you will find the correct name in your configuration php file, export it in qsl format. Important: Delete the old database and reinstall Oxwall then import your database again, it is also possible to export only your users table but I wont recommend that.
Or upgrade your plug ins and import your saved database.
What ever you do, Data Exporter and Data Importer plugin, did not work for me use phpMyAdmin
The Forum post is edited by Chris Bezuidenhout May 25 '12
Chris Bezuidenhout
Chris Bezuidenhout May 25 '12

Quote from Addenster
Quote from Shaun then re downloaded the bloggs plugin from the oxwall store. used ftp to upload it. re installed and not had a problem since.

Guys, to solve 500 error you just need to update all your plugins to the latest version. Erasing an old version and installing a fresh from store will lose your data. If you don't see an update request for plugins in your admin area, try the manual update

Addenster I did the update without database backup and my site was totally messed up, lost all my users and settings.
Pages: 1 2 »