We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Plugin which has not been updated in two years, should be deleted from the "Store" | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » Oxwall Store
Ketil Ervik
Ketil Ervik Apr 5 '15

I firmly believe that there should be a period of plug on "Store" I se that it is a part plugin and theme that has not been updated way back to 2012 and 13. And it's rare that they are compatible with Oxwall anymore! I mean outdated plug over time, is not particularly good advertisement for Oxwall software, etc. Therefore, I believe there should be a period of plugin and Theme on "Store.

I encourage admin on "Store to consider such a rule so that all outdated and Unusable plugin that has not been updated in a year, or have not been updated with new info in one year, are automatically deleted from the" Store. It must also be of interest to plugin developer to provide ongoing information to users of the plugin info about plugin development, or not!

An overview and possible cleanup on Store had not become so stupid.

The Forum post is edited by Ketil Ervik Apr 5 '15
Den Team
Den Apr 7 '15
Linuxgnu,

Would you share the items you are talking about please? 

tammy harris
tammy harris Apr 9 '15
t a rough guess that would include more then half the store items 

it can not be fixed in that way as some of them still work 
and some that have been updated still do not work 

the only way it can be fixed now as its a huge mess would be one by one re test
each plugin and ones found not to be working, only half work or dont work as advertised
the dev asked to fix them in x amount of time
if there not fixed then remove the plugins

then once is all cleaned up establish better store rules  
and a better system of checking plugins before they go in store or be updated 

the rates does not work as bodgy dev like aron have multiple accounts and rate there own plugins

dave as put his hand up to run plugin testing i have put my hand up to be a tester
to let dev know the things they must fix and what would improve there plugins
even make it none mandatory and dev submit there plugins to be tested  
once passed they get badge on there plugin 

i have over 200 plugins and out of that i think only 70 i can actually use  
i already know most of there problems and downfalls 

plugins need to be tested on a working site as on a testing site is so easy to miss problems 
plugin need to be used as sometimes it a day or 2 or a week of use them before you come across issues 
and no test site will ever find them problems 

The Forum post is edited by tammy harris Apr 9 '15
Ketil Ervik
Ketil Ervik Apr 9 '15
Exempel "Skysa" "TopLink"  And some more I can not remember right now.

And a whole lot of theme there, seems completely dead!

But it's just taking a look for yourself.

tammy harris
tammy harris Apr 9 '15
Skysa i tryed months  ago and worked fine so unless someone has found a problem with it does not need to be updated

top link was updated not to long ago and i use this plugin and works fine 
i see a few ppl have little problems with it that are unanswered but u need remember is a free plugin

Ketil Ervik
Ketil Ervik Apr 9 '15

Top link no longer works as it did in 1.7.0. Links do not go to a new tab or window.

I do not get up skysa on my network after that i went over to 1.7.2

The Forum post is edited by Ketil Ervik Apr 9 '15
Ketil Ervik
Ketil Ervik Apr 9 '15
A lot plugin is not compatible with 1.7.2 and it seems they are to towing route info or willingness to do something about the problem! Seeing that some have questioned whether this lack of the various plugins, but without any reply! Ongoing information about developing or not developing, had not every silly.
tammy harris
tammy harris Apr 9 '15
yop link is a free plugin if you wish it to work how you want then you should modify it to how you want most would not want links open in new window and infact google hates things open in new window or tab unless theres a warning that is going to do that 
as in chat click on the person your chating to link opens in new tab needs to be fixed 

i have not tested skysa on new version as i chose not to use it after testing it 
Ketil Ervik
Ketil Ervik Apr 9 '15
But it was not such plugin worked from the start. And would a bad regret that plugin is free! And I do not have anything about the plugin programming. I'm using is not plugin developer.

Plugin is free, so it is not so dangerous that it is no longer functioning as it should!,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Eh!

I have bought 108 plug from the store so far. Asks what I mean about bad plugin! Helps small that one plugin is free. Is not plugin interesting for the developer of plugin, it should not last well in the store!

tammy harris
tammy harris Apr 9 '15
skysa use to work fine and is free if it does not work now go the dev site and put support ticket or email what ever they use i shore they be happy to fix the problem so they get more customers

top link is free and works fine if you want it to work against google webmasters guidelines
is not a fix or problem with the plugin and if you want it work that way then you need mod the plugin to how you want it  
Ketil Ervik
Ketil Ervik Apr 9 '15
I've said all there is to say in this discussion, and I think has brought out what I mean about this topic. Some changes must be in place, that store on Oxwall percieved as serious as possible, avoiding misunderstandings and contribute to better customer service. And last but not least, there should be little simple howto for plugins out there. Not everyone is as clever as "aron and some other to provide good service and info. There are unfortunately also some horrifying examples, which often contributes to irritation for some customers of the store. Maybe they should take lessons from some developers in this area!
tammy harris
tammy harris Apr 9 '15
im all for that and for plugins that need it 
as for arron even he cant work his crappy plugins

dan asked you this
 Den

Apr 7

Linuxgnu,

Would you share the items you are talking about please? 

Ketil Ervik
Ketil Ervik Apr 10 '15

1. I did

2. I have no problem with plugin from aron, bought almost everything he has. The problems that arise with arons plugin solves he amazingly fast. better service should been looking long for.

3. I firmly believe that it is not the right word to use, trash everything that one can not even manage to get to. I urge instead that checks around a bit at the store itself, instead just throwing the ball back constantly. And one should last open to criticism when criticism is serious and påenget is to contribute to improvements. Pungt end.

The Forum post is edited by Ketil Ervik Apr 10 '15
Ketil Ervik
Ketil Ervik Apr 10 '15
aron its great work should serve as an example for other plugin developers. He takes his work and its customers with self-respect. Although he has many plug so he loses not the reason he stands. He is incredibly productive, cooperative, and provide a fabulous good service to their customers. To put it this way; He takes himself and his clients big responsibility. In Norway they call such work as aron represents, occupational pride. Take a look at the plugin updates in store. It speaks for itself. I must just say thanks.
Ketil Ervik
Ketil Ervik Apr 10 '15
Den

This discussion should end up with is that various plugin developers are adept to update their info about their project and get better to have contact with their customers and lead a more open dialogue with customers. Most misunderstandings and conflicts between plugin developer and customers located in the plugin developer's lack of communication on Oxwall store. It lies in store that are not updated in over one and two years, without any info about why it is so! Also see some have questioned that were never answered. I can not go back one special case, as there are many plug reading through. But given that i is a major consumer of plug at the store, so I stumble across a lot on my road through the offer.

My conclusion is:

Better info, much more frequently info

plugin-Howto

These are just a few points that will not only help customers and visitors, but it will be bigger less support work on the plugin developer.

The Forum post is edited by Ketil Ervik Apr 10 '15
Den Team
Den Apr 13 '15
Kjetil,

Thank you for your feedback. This is what we are working on here with moderation team and community. 

Ketil Ervik
Ketil Ervik Apr 13 '15
Glad to here that Den
mikeg
mikeg Apr 14 '15
Themes that don't work as advertised should be addressed,   @Kjetil not hijacking ok
Glenn
Glenn Jul 15 '15
Sorry for the necropost, but I have a logistical solution that'll prevent this problem and still allow for older installs that are compatible with the older plugins to continue to work as needed.

Instead of downloading and purchasing plugins individually from the website, customers can login to their own website and go into the admin dashboard and open up the Add New Plugins section and search for a list of plugins based on customer ratings to work with their current version of Oxwall, unworking with current version, or unknown/not currently tested.

And you can even go a step further and add a filter for site admins to filter out untested plugins, non-working plugins and just the working plugins.

I'll go back to my corner now.

tammy harris
tammy harris Jul 20 '15
customer ratings to work with their current version of Oxwall

the problem with that is some the dev have lots oxwall accounts and rate there own plugins 
Pages: 1 2 »