We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Profile Page "Freeze" [Solved] | Forum

Musik
Musik Apr 7 '15
This issue happens at random to me and my users. It's been difficult to determine whether it's due to one plugin or Oxwall itself so I thought it best to report it here.

At random, profile page tabs, buttons, and links become "un-clickable," meaning that they don't respond to users attempting to click them. The link and button rollover effect will still occur, but when the user clicks, nothing happens. This issue doesn't happen on any other page than user profiles.

I've attempted disabling/re-enabling plugins, clearing the site cache, and working one-on-one with users to clear personal browser caches to resolve this issue but a consistent solution hasn't been found. Sometimes it seems like something we do fixes it and other times it appears to resolve on its own.

As a note, it doesn't affect all users at once, just a handful at a time. These users also don't have anything in common in terms of account type or moderation privileges. 

Any help in this matter is much appreciated! Thank you.

The Forum post is edited by ross Apr 10 '15
ross Team
ross Apr 8 '15
What is your software version?

Do you have any 3rd party plugins on your website? If so which one has widgets on the profile page? Try to disable the plugins which do have widgets on the profile page?

How many users do you have on your website? How many active and concurrent users? 

What is your hosting plan?

Musik
Musik Apr 8 '15
Thanks, Ross! Here are answers to each of your questions:

Software version: I'm running Oxwall 1.7.2.

Plugins: I have 27 non-core plugins from the Oxwall store, and 1 third-party plugin (Comet Chat). Only 1 have them has a widget on the profile page (Extended Events). I disabled it after I read your post and will let you know if this helps! (I will need to get in contact with the users the "freeze" is currently affecting.) I can send you the full list of plugins via PM as needed.

Users: I have 92 users and they're most active in the evenings, peak times with 20 logged in at a time. Of the 92, there are approximately 45 who are active. Some accounts are duplicates and others are less frequent users or currently inactive.

Hosting: I have the Bluehost Pro Business Plan.

The Forum post is edited by Musik Apr 8 '15
ross Team
ross Apr 9 '15
Musik, can you please enable profiler in the config.php file? share your URL, please. 

make sure it is open for registration. Also it would be great if you provide the access details of one of the members with the "freeze" problem. If admin has the same issue, then admin details in PM, please. 

Musik
Musik Apr 9 '15
Thanks, Ross! I sent you a PM with details.
ross Team
ross Apr 9 '15
Music, it's definitely occurs due to some 3rd party plugin. There's a javascript error in the console while clicking on the freezed buttons and links

I deactivated all 3rd party plugin on your website and the error is gone and profile does not freeze. 

Activate the plugins one-by-one and find out which one causes the error and freeze. See screenshot:

Musik
Musik Apr 9 '15
Ross, thank you! I re-activated each plugin one by one and it appears to be the Newsfeed Trends Twitter Style plugin. How it's affecting profile pages, hard to say.

Thanks for the assist. I'm going to contact the dev and see what fix we can work out. Also, since it's a very popular plugin, I hope that this thread is helpful for someone who experiences this problem in the future!

ross Team
ross Apr 10 '15
Great. I'm going to mark this thread as Solved.