We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

[Answered] Ask youtube and vimeo for hq thumbnails | Forum

Jonas Svendsen
Jonas Svendsen May 18 '15

I found this line on /ow_plugins/video/classes/video_providers.php

const thumbUrlPattern = 'http://img.youtube.com/vi/()/default.jpg';

Here i can replace "default" with "hqdefault" or "0" and it works, but just in videos added by newsfeed.

I know there is a reported bug about vimeo thumbnails when vimeos are added by newsfeed, thats another topic and i cant find a solution for it.

Is there a way to change that thumbnail url on embedded videos too? Just for vimeo and youtube.

Now i'm changing thumbnails urls by jquery,it works, but is a poor solution.

Thanks in advance.

The Forum post is edited by Alia Jun 3 '15
Alia Team
Alia May 22 '15
NetzaH,

Am I correct understanding that you wish to change default no-video thumbnail displayed on the "Browse Videos" page? :

Kieron H Leader
Kieron H May 22 '15
i think he is asking to have high quality thumbnails for the videos pulled from youtube and vimeo 
Alia Team
Alia May 22 '15
Thanks Kieron. I guess I got confused because currently "Video" plugin doesn't grab any thumbnails for vimeo ...

Will look into this
Michele
Michele May 26 '15
I'd actually like the answer to that question though :P  Some of my videos on the browse page won't show thumbnails, mainly from video sites like tubechop.com and zippcast.com
Alia Team
Alia Jun 3 '15
NetzaH, I was not able to reproduce your reported issue.

After replacing "default" with "hqdefault", hq thumbnail was grabbed for all videos: newsfeed ones and embeded directly from "Video" plugin.

With regards to videos from vimeo.com not showing thumnbails at all, I have passed this over to our Bug Reports Manager. We will do out best to fix this in one of the upcoming updates.
Alia Team
Alia Jun 3 '15
Michele,  whether thumbnail will appear or not depend on video providers. Some provides give thumbnails, some don't.

You can always check list of providers who are known to have working thumbnails in /ow_plugins/video/classes/video_providers.php .