We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

use this like twitter w/ limited characters and followers/following? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Elizabeth
Elizabeth Jun 11 '15
Hi guys. I'm new to Oxwall and have been researching scripts and trying demos and this one seems crazy good - hard to understand it's free, but no complaints! Question...I've been on the admin side and didn't see the option, but was wondering if anyone tried to use this like Twitter w/ the follow system vs. friends or has any suggestions how to tweak it? I see there's a widget plugin for showing followers so I can consider that as a fallback, but prefer to limit characters. Going to check out plugin options a bit more and hope there's something in there.

If that's not possible, has anyone tried to change Friends to read Connections if you're using it for business?

Thanks for any help!
tammy harris
tammy harris Jun 11 '15
you can change any language value in admin languages 
ie Friends to Connections 
to limit characters does not sound to hard google on how to limit characters in textras

and edit the textra boxes 
Elizabeth
Elizabeth Jun 11 '15
thank you! I found a good Twitter-clone theme on here so I think using that and the character limits + connections, I can get it pretty close to what I want.

thanks again :)
tammy harris
tammy harris Jun 11 '15
change language is fine but edit core files to make limit textras 
if you update core / plugin you will loose custom stuffs
Elizabeth
Elizabeth Jun 11 '15
right, thanks. I'm used to using WordPress child themes where you modify files there and they override the parent theme, so it's easy and safe to update. Will back up files on updates. thanks!