We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Cron issues "wget stopped working" | Forum

Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Jun 15 '15
I had been using the wget cron since the initial installation without any problems until sometime after June 7th 2015. This was the last day that emails went out from the site. I checked the cron, and tried adjusting it, but kept getting a JSON parse error. The wget had to eventually be deleted, and replaced with a direct route to the cron /usr/local/bin/php /home/username/public_html/sub-domain/oxwall/ow_cron/run.php, and SMTP had to be deactivated to get the emails going out again. I also tried the curl line. It set up okay, and I was able to edit it, but it didn't work either, so I stayed with the direct route to the cron that Arvixe set up for me.  I just don't know why the SMTP, and wget stopped working. I am running version 1.7.4, and did the update on 6/3/15, so I don't think that was the reason since emils went out on 6/7. Maybe someone has some insight on this.
ross Team
ross Jun 16 '15
Darryl, let me tell you the "secret" it is most recommended, you run cron via php, this way nothing can influence it.

in case of wget, curl, you use http protocol to run the cron and it may be some disconnection via this protocol it is recommended to use this command if you want to run something like once, but if you want to run/do something periodically, in this case - cron, it is better to use direct route. 

as to the JSON parse error - where do you get this error? in the cpanel or somewhere else?

Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Jun 16 '15
The JSON error was in Cpanel.  It would show when I tried doing any edit on the wget cron. Thanks for the other info. It was just odd that the wget just stopped after about 8 months of working.
ross Team
ross Jun 16 '15
If it was in the CPanel you need to contact hosting provider support team and request info on the matter. 
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Jun 16 '15
I did. They said it looked like it was something in the script. Everything was working on their end, according to them. 
ross Team
ross Jun 16 '15
This is ridiculous:)

Our software cannot influence the work of the cpanel in any possible way 

Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Jun 16 '15
I'm just glad it's working.  Now I can breath, and dig a little to find possible causes. Something may surface in their forum.
ross Team
ross Jun 16 '15
Ok, keep us updated.