We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Oxwall needs to simplify and expand newfeed/wall | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Isaac
Isaac Mar 22 '12
Hello all, Now by the title of this post I am sure you are already saying to yourself, "yep another person complaining." To put your mind at rest let me tell you that I know what I am talking about, not only from experience, but also in the form of schooling. Now, oxwall may be ok for a person wishing to start a community based around a specific subject, but that is also debateable. It certainly is not ready to form an open social network, AKA, Facebook, Twitter, etc. This has to do with quite a few reasons, which most of these are not that large. What makes the software completely unready for this type of social network is this: The news feed and the wall as well as the profile. The profile shares featuress with the dashboard. Going inbetween the profile and the dashboard ( which acts like a second profile) is just confusing and completely unnecessary. Onto the next problem, which also ties into the profile issue. Why can you only post to your newsfeed from your dashboard, which makews sense in some ways, but not any in others. Second users can ONLY comment on news feed posts, so you feel that you need to always go to your dashboard to make posts, when you want to be working from your profile (who wants two homes, aka dashboard and profile.) The other thing is that persons can not comment on postsdrom your wall, which in my opinion is stupid. The db's need to make the wall the primary social area, with the newsfeed as a secondary, well news feed. Or they need to make the newsdeed postable from your profile page. There is more I could say, but I ameriting this from a mobile device. I will post more later. Also, development, I have quite a bit of respect for you, because you have made a great package, but like any software it needs to improve.
The Forum post is edited by Isaac Mar 22 '12
Isaac
Isaac Mar 22 '12
Sorry for any spelling mistakes, like I said this was written from a mobile device.
DeFender
DeFender Mar 22 '12
yes oxwall have two kinds of stream one on dashboard and other on index. it is better to have new page profile settings and two switchible streams on index page.
 or dashboard stream placed on profile page.
other question - friends can;t to post to friends stream !
Isaac
Isaac Mar 22 '12
Please answer this for me, any user; guest or member can view all stream activities. That takes away the privacy factor. I would like to know how I can first of all take the stream of the front page (so guests can't see it) and make the stream so that only that members friends and himself can see his news stream.

Thank you,

Isaac

Isaac
Isaac Mar 22 '12
Please answer this for me, any user; guest or member can view all stream activities. That takes away the privacy factor. I would like to know how I can first of all take the stream of the front page (so guests can't see it) and make the stream so that only that members friends and himself can see his news stream.

Thank you,

Isaac

DeFender
DeFender Mar 22 '12
you can hide your profile and your profile stream from guests, but you can;t to hide index page with all stream. I was asking here for this , no reaction. you can hide all site from guests :D
Isaac
Isaac Mar 22 '12
That is a major disappoint.