We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

How do you make an item show up in all users news feed? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
James Geddes
James Geddes Jun 23 '15
We publish new t-shirt designs on Geek.Zone several times a week and I would like to be able to ensure that these are seen by all users without making it look like an advert.

How do we ensure that a news feed item is seen by all users?

Thanks!

James

Gson
Gson Jun 23 '15
Hey,

Any user whom currently has access to the "Main" menu will see your post. Not only yours but everyone else. Is it what you asked?

James Geddes
James Geddes Jun 23 '15
Users currently only see it if they are my friend. I want all posts by one user to be guaranteed to be shown to everyone
Gson
Gson Jun 23 '15
I think you just prove my point James, if you enable the "Main" menu on your website, any posts within your website is accessible to every user. Besides, I don't need to be a user to see them :).

Here's your website "Main" activity --> http://geek.zone/index ;

James Geddes
James Geddes Jun 23 '15
Ah! I didn't know that! How can we restrict the "Main Menu" so that it is only visible to registered members?
Gson
Gson Jun 24 '15
That's a well known issue within the oxwall community, currently there's is no fix and I think the oxwall team meant it to be this way. What I did was I modified the oxwall package "/ow_system_plugins/base/init.php" by renaming the "index" Main menu to something else.

I'm currently working on a way to put it under the Admin menu, where only admin will have access. Unless someone is willing to build a plugin for it.

Currently my website Main activity is not found ---> www.locofans.com/index

PS: Every Oxwall website Main activity can be accessed via the "index".

James Geddes
James Geddes Jun 26 '15
I'd like users to have access to the index but not guests. It's a shame this is not more flexible. Another bug to add to the list then!
ross Team
ross Jul 9 '15
James, you can restrict the main page for guests by going here: http://demo.oxwall.org/admin/pages/manage, hover of the Main page item, click on edit, uncheck the Guest checkbox, now only members will have access to the main page. 

Also, I believe there's some plugin in the store which makes all registered users as admin followers or friends, not sure about that, so everything which is posted by admin is displayed in the user's dashboard newsfeed as well. 

And of course you can just leave that way, and all users can see the updates on the index page newsfeed. 

The Forum post is edited by ross Jul 9 '15