We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

base mailer and reply to | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Bernd Eckenfels
Bernd Eckenfels Jul 6 '15
I noticed that the "contactus" plugin uses the email address a user has specified as the email sender. This does often not work and I would prefer to have the normal oxwall sender address and set an additional Reply-To: header.

The Base_Mail class does have a setReplyTo() method, but the DAO (used my the mail_service to store in the base_mail table) does not preserve this field. Is this intentional that you can set it, but it is not used?

ross Team
ross Jul 7 '15
Topic was moved from Bug reports and troubleshooting.
ross Team
ross Jul 9 '15
Bernd, actually I don't understand the purpose of your question - Is this intentional that you can set it, but it is not used?

This is the general question and we can say yes or no, right:) 

As a matter of fact it was unintentional as adding this method to DAO does not do any difference. It would be great if you shed some light on the matter in order to assist you more effectively. 

Do you want to achieve something or what? 

As to this one: I would prefer to have the normal oxwall sender address - also please elaborate what you mean by normal oxwall sender address and what is the difference between it and e-mail address a user has specified. 

Bernd Eckenfels
Bernd Eckenfels Jul 22 '15
You allow a user to enter a From: email address, and this will not only be transmitted as text to the recipient, but as an actual From: mail header. This has a number of problems (including the fact that the Oxwall server might not be authorized to use this From-Domain and therefore the mails will be recognized as spam).

I would sent contact-form emails with a From: header of the community and only as a way to make it more comfortable to set the Reply-To: header (since this is not a spam problem). The difference is, that the installation already is configured to allow to submit with that (Specific) sender adress (not with randome external ones).

So what I would liek to do is to actually patch "contactus" plugin (which is pretty easy) to set the user email as Reply-To and use the default from (community admin) for the mails. However when I do this the base_mailer will not preserve the Reply-To (since the DAO does not).

The Forum post is edited by Bernd Eckenfels Jul 23 '15