We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

how to submit changes to the dev team | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Regis Grison
Regis Grison Apr 4 '12
Hi,

I already posted 2 small patches using the forum.

I have some more improvements to propose to the dev team but I don't know where and how to do it.

For example, I have a patch that may have some interrest for those who can't or don't want to use a ftp account for plugin installation and updates (a checkbox in admin that allow to bypass ftp usage). I had some problems with it and I know I'm not alone.
But as it is not a plugin but a core modification, I believe that if the dev team approve my changes, it should be put in main distribution.

So what is the proper way to propose modifications?

Regards.
Owen Baines
Owen Baines Apr 4 '12
Contact a Member of the Dev team Via Messages.
Regis Grison
Regis Grison Apr 5 '12
Well, OK. Thanks.

And... I just saw there is a contact us and a contribute link on the bottom menu... Sorry...

I'll do that.
Purusothaman Ramanujam
As I have mentioned in my other unanswered post, there should be a way to contribute using GitHub, SVN or any other online collaborative methods.

This will encourage many people to contribute which will be good for oxwall.
Regis Grison
Regis Grison Apr 5 '12
Well, I can understand the team want to check the code before adding it (it would be easy to put spyware in it).

But I agree a bugtracker / request submit / patch proposal system would be good.
DeFender
DeFender Apr 5 '12
I don;t know the team/oxwall purposes , but I know
what is custom modification
or
topic moved.

it is sad

more

I have made many modifications (not only template :) )
and then update come it overwrites all files.
I have the backup and was rewriting many files by hand.

The Forum post is edited by DeFender Apr 5 '12
Regis Grison
Regis Grison Apr 6 '12
I've written a shell script (not yet fully tested) that will check an update for me before installing so I can do a diff on those files to preserve modifications. I can publish it when I'll have it fully tested (next oxwall update).
Michael I.
Michael I. Apr 11 '12
We would love to include patches and improvements from our users but so far we don't have enough resources for checking all the code that would be submitted. Hopefully, we will be able to use our users code for improvement but we need some time to increase our powers.
Regis Grison
Regis Grison Apr 12 '12
Well, yes but..

I found a bug.
I submitted a one line patch. One character indeed.
I explained the bug and the patch.

It was on marth 22th and you said devs will review it on April, 2nd. It is not so old but it is only one line character. It cannot embed a backdoor and it is simple to understand.
Michael I.
Michael I. May 13 '12
Are we talking about this patch? I've left my reply in that topic. And, as I already said, we will consider about including improvements submitted by the community.
Regis Grison
Regis Grison May 15 '12
This? I think a link was removed by system. If you are talking about the other topic you just replied, the answer is no.

I submitted a simple and reliable patch you said you forwarded to the dev team.

I did again by using direct contact. I had a confirmation it will be reviewed, nothing more for now (but let's give them some time for that).

My feeling from this direct contact is that developpers are open to proposal but I still regret the lack of public bug tracker and patch submition : I think a forum could be enough to submit a patch, make it review by other members to filter before main developpers do a final review.
Michael I.
Michael I. May 18 '12
Regis, you can submit patches in the Hacks section and I am sure users will love to use them. We are also reviewing that part of the Forum and implementing those improvements that are considered as worthy.
Regis Grison
Regis Grison May 21 '12
Well, maybe. But custom hacks are just removed when oxwall is updated.

For me the only valuable way is to make standard hacks that can be usefull to other people so it can be included in the main stream so I can keep my oxwall up to date without loosing features.

I also think this is how open source software are the most valuable to everyone.

Of course, I can understand main developpers do not have so much time, and that's why I said why I said before.
Michael I.
Michael I. Jun 3 '12
Regis, email about your patch to the support@oxwall.org

Thank you.

Regis Grison
Regis Grison May 24 '14
I finaly posted my ftp patch here:
http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/19528