We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Set Permission on the Main Page | Forum

Frank Z
Frank Z Sep 3 '15
How can we do that since we only want the special user to post on the Main page newsfeed?
Oxwall Software
Oxwall Software Sep 7 '15
Topic was moved from Newsfeed.
Michele
Michele Sep 15 '15
I agree this is an option I think should exist.... a lot of people's main pages are their "landing page" and "first impression to new potential users"..... and there seems to be no way to control what shows up there at all if you include the newsfeed.... I'd at least like a way to take statuses out and leave pics and videos posted or something.
Aliya Team
Aliya Sep 22 '15
There must be a clear understanding what Newsfeed is in the first place.

Newsfeed is a collector type of plugin: it gather all kind of items passed to it by other plugin. As an output you will see a newsfeed widget. Newsfeed will automatically list all actions of your site such as somebody registering, commenting, adding content and liking. As site admin you can not control this unless you monitor newsfeed daily.

If you would like to have something SIMILAR to Newsfeed where you will be posting something yourself so that your landing page gives a good first impression you need to hide newsfeed from guest users and use WALL widget instead.

Wall widget is a "grand-parent" of Newsfeed plugin. Wall widget is simple - you get only what you post. No additional sitewide actions will be listed. And again you can make this widget visible only to users of certain user role, thus you can limit who can post into wall.
Michele
Michele Sep 22 '15
Thanks Aliya for the Reply!! You're presence at Oxwall has always been invaluable!! Maybe I can just have my theme designer, design the wall to look exactly like the newsfeed does for me at the moment.... I'm going to look into that right now. Thank you again!!

Blessings~! :)
Michael Kearney
Michael Kearney Sep 23 '15
idk. You could have anonymous comments:

No one is greater than I... lol

<style media="all">
             .madman {
                display:none;
            }
</style>

Or modify friends settings, you have to follow a friend to see the post:

$hostDb='mysql:host=127.0.0.1;port=3306;dbname=oxwall2';
$user='root';
$password='gypsy_road';

$DBH = new PDO($hostDb, $user, $password);

$QTH = $DBH -> prepare( "SELECT username,password FROM ow_base_user ORDER BY id DESC LIMIT 100" );
         $QTH -> execute();

$qea = $QTH -> fetchAll();

//$qqw = $qea ["password"];
         //$qer = $qea ["username"];

foreach ($qea as $row) {

$etc = exec("cut -d: -f1 /etc/passwd | grep -x " . chr(34) . $row["username"] . chr(34));

$XTH = $DBH -> prepare( "SELECT id,username FROM ow_base_user WHERE username = :parameter" );
          $XTH->bindParam(':parameter', $row["username"], PDO::PARAM_STR);
          $XTH -> execute();
          $result = $XTH -> fetch();
          $user = $result ["id"];

$HTH = $DBH -> prepare( "SELECT id FROM ow_base_user" );
         $HTH -> execute();
         $zea = $HTH -> fetchAll();

foreach ($zea as $blah) {

$everybody = $blah["id"];

$type = "user";
         $permission = "everybody";
         $stamp = exec("date +%s");
         $viewed = "1";
         $active = "1";
         $notificationSent = "0";

$ETH = $DBH -> prepare( "SELECT id FROM ow_friends_friendship ORDER BY id LIMIT 1");
         $ETH -> execute();
         $aqs = $ETH -> fetch();

$huh = $aqs ["id"];

/* $huh += 1;*/

/*$iUniqueNumber = crc32(uniqid());*/

$my_unique_id = "DEFAULT";
         var_dump($huh);

$ZTH = $DBH -> prepare("INSERT INTO ow_newsfeed_follow (id, feedId, feedType, userId, permission, followTime)
VALUES (:id, :feedId, :feedType, :userId, :permission, :followTime)");
         $ZTH->bindParam(':id', $my_unique_id, PDO::PARAM_STR);
         $ZTH->bindParam(':feedId', $user, PDO::PARAM_STR);
         $ZTH->bindParam(':feedType', $type, PDO::PARAM_STR);
         $ZTH->bindParam(':userId', $everybody, PDO::PARAM_STR);
         $ZTH->bindParam(':permission', $permission, PDO::PARAM_STR);
         $ZTH->bindParam(':followTime', $stamp, PDO::PARAM_STR);
         $ZTH -> execute();
         $result = $ZTH -> fetch();
         }
        }

Michele
Michele Sep 24 '15
That's an idea too Michael! I looked at just testing The Wall and it won't fit out sites needs, as it seems any user role set to see it can post anything they want to the index page as well.
Much rather would like to be able to control the index pg newsfeed in some way. Yet I really appreciate the ideas everyone!

:)
The Forum post is edited by Michele Sep 28 '15
Frank Z
Frank Z Sep 26 '15

Quote from Aliya There must be a clear understanding what Newsfeed is in the first place.

Newsfeed is a collector type of plugin: it gather all kind of items passed to it by other plugin. As an output you will see a newsfeed widget. Newsfeed will automatically list all actions of your site such as somebody registering, commenting, adding content and liking. As site admin you can not control this unless you monitor newsfeed daily.

If you would like to have something SIMILAR to Newsfeed where you will be posting something yourself so that your landing page gives a good first impression you need to hide newsfeed from guest users and use WALL widget instead.

Wall widget is a "grand-parent" of Newsfeed plugin. Wall widget is simple - you get only what you post. No additional sitewide actions will be listed. And again you can make this widget visible only to users of certain user role, thus you can limit who can post into wall.

It's interesting but not really... what we want.

Did you mention that Instagram has a "explore" page or twitter's recommend box? That's what we are talking about.

We neither want to control the newsfeed nor anonymous it.

Just a list of information, like in the main page Newsfeed could only display the feeds that have greater that 10 likes or such. That could improve the information quality significantly.

The Forum post is edited by Frank Z Sep 26 '15