We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Where can I edit this??? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Tom
Tom Sep 22 '15
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, maximum-scale=1, user-scalable=0">

It's in the header section... but where is the file??

Fergus
Fergus Nov 16 '15
Hi, I'm wishing to edit this tag as well, have tried editing the file at...
/ow_themes/simplicity/master_pages/html_document.html
Changed the Viewport line to...

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=0.5, user-scalable=yes">

However, when I visit the front page of my site and view it's source (After clearing cache), it's still saying this...

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, maximum-scale=1, user-scalable=0">

Didn't seems to have any affect at all? Any clues as to where I may have gone wrong?
(Oxwall version 1.8.0)

Many thanks,

The Forum post is edited by Fergus Nov 16 '15
ross Team
ross Nov 16 '15
enable dev mode and refresh you website for the changes to take effect. 
Fergus
Fergus Nov 16 '15
Great, cheers for that Ross.  Changes have successfully taken effect.
ross Team
ross Nov 16 '15
my pleasure
Dnyan
Dnyan Nov 18 '15
i did everything kept initial to 0.7 nut still it does not auto fit to width of device
ross Team
ross Nov 18 '15
changing this meta info won't make the theme responsive. take a look at these search results: https://www.google.com/...;espv=2&ie=UTF-8

https:///...;espv=2&ie=UTF-8

Tom
Tom Nov 19 '15
Yes I know, but it does make it more eye appealing. It's a colossal fuck up from a programmer who probably lives under a rock with no access to modern mobile devices who wrote the code. This architecture was prolly used with JqueryUI and not bootstrap. I'm not investing one dollar into this software or any plugin until the basic theme is fixed. 
The Forum post is edited by Tom Nov 19 '15
ross Team
ross Nov 19 '15
What do you mean basic theme is fixed? What is the issue? And please watch your language
Tom
Tom Nov 20 '15
The back bone of the OxWall Software is written jquery correct?
ross Team
ross Nov 22 '15
mostly yes, why?
Tom
Tom Nov 25 '15
See that is where the problem is. jquery was initially developed like 9-10 years ago, and while that doesn't seem like a relatively long time, to put this into perspective, jquery was developed before the iPhone 1 came out and was initially meant for desktop browsers. Over the years it's been beaten into submission to work on mobile but the reality is it's not a a mobile friendly platform. This is why I can kinda make the Simplistic view work, yet people are having difficulties with it in general with mobile. While the "Mobile" version of the site site where it looks totally different "works", why not just do it right and make OxWall 2.0 with the backbone in bootstrap. Because of this jquery, and horrid theme development I have received a lot of complaints about the site. The only thing driving the site is the content. I have been asked at least a dozen times why I haven't used Joomla or Word Press; What do I tell them? What further irritates me about this product is that I was accused of "stealing" another persons plugin and locked out of this site. After almost a week of not being able to access the plugins I did pay for, a few hundred dollars worth, I began to wonder why I should keep investing into a product that is so mismanaged. So ultimately, the Simplistic theme is ok, but it's not great due to the fact of the architecture it's being skinned over.

I got some thinking to do on future development of my site.
ross Team
ross Nov 26 '15
we use that technology, as our devs consider it best in terms of our software, besides we use a lot of legacy versions for the plugin and software version dependencies, for now we do not see the point in transferring the software to backbone. 

Besides, in my humble opinion, you misinterpret the term Oxwall 2.0, of course if you referring to the web 2.0 term. 

Tom
Tom Nov 27 '15
Tell you what,.. tell the devs keep doing their "best". As a consumer I am telling you this entire system is anything but modern and you are going to loose out to WordPress and Joomla until they see the light. I'm done investing in this system until it's properly modernized. 
IntrigU
IntrigU May 13 '16
Second Tom's view. Ran a few experiments:

Bounce rates with simplicity theme as landing page: 39%

Bounce rates with static html on bootstrap: 11%

90% of users that terminate their account mention that the reason for leaving is dated look and feel of the site.

This makes it very hard to acquire and retain users. Oxwall in its' current state is not a sustainable platform for a commercial project.

The Forum post is edited by IntrigU May 13 '16