We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

How do I keep bogus accounts down? | Forum

Tom
Tom Sep 24 '15
So my site has gotten popular enough to where it has attracted the spam clowns and now every other day i get some dickless prick setting up a spam account just to post whatever it is he is selling that day. How do I keep these retards away from my site, or make it harder for them to create accounts to begin with?
Kieron H Leader
Kieron H Oct 7 '15
i get this a lot on my site too all the anti spam features dont stop it because most of it is someone scrolling through oxwall users websites and manually signing up the only way to stop it is to set mandatory user approve so any new users that join will have to be verified by admin before accessing the signed in version of the site  
ketkew
ketkew Oct 7 '15

Quote from Kieron Hurst i get this a lot on my site too all the anti spam features dont stop it because most of it is someone scrolling through oxwall users websites and manually signing up the only way to stop it is to set mandatory user approve so any new users that join will have to be verified by admin before accessing the signed in version of the site  

For some small communities this would be an option but for larger websites not (imagine that Facebook would verify each user account manual...)

So a solution could be: a good BAN/BLOCK function or (and maybe better) a required Two factor Authentication via SMS (which will def. will cost money..)

I see that someone is busy to develop such plugin, but it still needs a possibility to block phone numbers so user can't registers once their number is on a black list.. (Maybe something can arranged via the SMS service provider)

EDIT: here is an already working SMS verification plugin, but still I don't know if blocking numbers is possible..
The Forum post is edited by ketkew Oct 7 '15
kips
kips Nov 10 '21
It is very easy to bring down bogus accounts. We just need to read essayshark review to know a little bit information about these accounts before managing them nicely.
Daisy Chole
Daisy Chole Nov 17 '21
Make your website anti spam with the help of anti virus. don't open spam links on your website.