We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Cron Job Issues | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Wilzer
Wilzer Oct 4 '15
What happens if the cron job is not set up - think I just destroyed sql databases with cpanel cron job setup as per instructions.. Hopefully Arvixe can fix but they are not available on weekends. 

Does site operate OK without setting up cron job
tammy harris
tammy harris Oct 5 '15
you need cron for just about everything to work
Taissa Team
Taissa Oct 5 '15
Wilzer, have you managed to fix your issue ? What instructions did you use?
Oxwall Tips
Oxwall Tips Oct 5 '15
@Wilzer  the only way when Cron is not actually running is if you configured it and then removed.
If you have installed the software but never configured Cron, you still have Cron running ( every time when anybody refreshes the page. I think interval is once in a minute for that default Cron).  Oxwall is set this way because as mentioned by Tammy Cron is a must have for Oxwall and to complete daily routine Oxwall came up with this default Cron that runs on page refresh. It wont' work for larger tasks ( ex profile import or huge mass mailing).

You also could not have destroyed your DB while configuring Cron.

Yes, site opens when Cron is not running.

I did write what Cron does in Oxwall in my post here. Hope that it will help you:  https://skatips.wordpress.com/...oxwall-what-is-cron/ .
Wilzer
Wilzer Oct 5 '15
Evidently shared host server was hit with an attack about the same time as I was tinkering with cron.  I deleted cron jobs just in case and everything is back up.

Still have some issue with invite new user mail not going out - suspect it may be host email server as it was also not functioning during outage.

Sorry for the panic, but host server, well known, seems not to have any support available on weekends.