We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Recommended Hosts | Forum

Musik
Musik Oct 5 '15
And now for another episode of recommended Oxwall hosts. These threads pop up now and then but I wanted to poll the latest in hosting quality, customer service, and uptime since these are things that change often with providers.

I've been with Bluehost for 8+ years but their uptime and customer service has been horrible in the last year. I've noticed dips in the last few years but this year specifically has stood out. My Oxwall site (and other sites hosted on my Cloud Hosting) goes down every 24 hours or more. It's very frustrating. When I contact Bluehost about it, the only solution they offer is to be downgraded to their Shared hosting service (I recently upgraded to Cloud Hosting). They offer no technical solutions or explanations for the frequent downtime.

I'm currently looking at Site5 but also wanted to poll users here. Where are you hosted? What are your previous experiences?

For me, cost isn't an issue. I'm looking for genuine uptime (not just advertised/promised) and solid customer service.

Thanks for your time!

The Forum post is edited by Musik Oct 5 '15
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Oct 6 '15
I'm still new to the game, but I'll through Arvixe out there. They recently had some issues that caused the site to go down. This went on for a few weeks, but they did get it fixed, and I haven't had any big issues with them in the year I've been with their shared hosting plan. The customer service is great. They've helped me with some things that wasn't necessarily there issue. I'm sure others that have been with them longer will jump in, and expand their experiences.
Kieron H Leader
Kieron H Oct 8 '15
i use x10hosting (premium shared) and i have had a few problems but not major ones and the support there have helped me a lot 
Abbey
Abbey Oct 10 '15
Togglebox is good..... the tech support is amazing and fast, I've never had to wait for anything. Plus it's scaleable so you don't pay for stuff you don't need
Oxwall Accessories
Oxwall Accessories Oct 11 '15
Arvixe all the way. The have great support and start off at just $4 a month. :)
bobbi
bobbi Oct 11 '15
i am with arvixe but am now having doubts, after migration to a new data center my poke plug returns a 403 error even the dev cannot solve it, but my biggest concern now with arvixe is the lack of support since the buy out by eig, they have no support forum now people are waiting days for tickets to be answered often with no resolution  they have to resort to twitter to get answers i fear this is the end for arvixe i am dreading my server having problems i have always stuck up for arvixe in the past but eig have destroyed them 
bobbi
bobbi Oct 11 '15
arvixe used to have the best support i need to raise a ticket to sort out my poker plug in as it is a server problem but i fear i will never get a answer, from what i have read most of the arvixe staff have lost thier jobs, they have a skeleton crew who cant cope, look at the arvixe facebook page and arvixe support twitter page 

the support forum was taken down a few days ago and is replaced with a status page they are still migrating servers to the new data centres the eig buyout was a massive mess but this is how eig work buy a successful web host and run it to the ground, all of the  recommended oxwall hosts are owned by eig, arvixe, bluehost and now site 5 

https://www.reviewhell.com/blog/eig-arvixe-alternatives/

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1426657

The Forum post is edited by bobbi Oct 11 '15
bobbi
bobbi Oct 17 '15
thanks for the link, if they can match arvixe business class price  of 22 us dollars a month and migrate the site with or without a fee as i have no idea what i am doing there,  i will consider them if arvixe doesnt improve
HW
HW Mar 13 '16
I use Bluehost too, and they were fine back in October, and I easily upgraded their default installation to version 1.8.0. But then some time ago, they made a change with their PHP version, which crashed my site. Someone else here had a similar issue and posted a solution, which was editing the .htaccess file. But now that has completely crippled my ability to use subdomains (because requirements are wrong), and Bluehost recommends I hire someone to fix my .htaccess file.

So I would not recommend Bluehost for Oxwall at this time. They do not agree with each other very well.

HW
HW Mar 13 '16
I think you can email their billing email, but I would just open a support chat. Their support is usually pretty quick and helpful.

I have neglected to update the URL of my site on my profile here, and now the forum wants me to upload a new photo/avatar, so I will leave it for now. It is a different URL now...that subdomain has been deleted.

Anitaku
Anitaku Mar 13 '16
My site works fine on bluehost :) 
No issues with them ever. Using 1.8. 
Anitaku
Anitaku Mar 13 '16
I installed it myself, I had an issue where they needed to update their php version to accommodate which they took care of straight away and had no issues since then. 
Anitaku
Anitaku Mar 13 '16
500 errors after plug ins is usually a problem with the plug in, not the hosting. What plug ins were you trying to install?

Others have had issues with bluehost but personally i've never had any issues, in fact, i recommend them to anyone who asks, etc. 
Thanks! Still plenty of work to do, but it's coming along nicely :) Appreciate the kind words!

tammy harris
tammy harris Mar 14 '16
i have used home page universe  for few years now and my dedicated server rocks 
https://my.homepageuniverse.com/
there planes are cheap and you get what u pay for 
i tryed blue host and there dedicated server are not what you pay for 
and you do not get a dedicated router its shared so when other sites get spiks your site slows down
home page universe i get a dedicated gb router 

Damian
Damian Mar 15 '16
get free web hosting for your Oxwall site at https://blueonnix.com/hosting.html