We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Reply to Mails on Mobile | Forum

HW
HW Oct 28 '15
I have the mobile version disabled because there are parts of the site users can't see on mobile only, there are things I can't add to the mobile menus, pictures show up oddly on the main page, and I have a responsive theme that works well on mobile.

There is one main issue, though. Users cannot respond to mails on mobile (chats are no problem). When you type in the "Write a reply..." area, the screen keyboard covers the box and nothing you type gets recorded. If you put the keyboard away again, the "Write a reply..." text has changed to "undefined."

This happens with the basic Oxwall themes too, even before adding extra plugins.

Is there a known fix? I know I can disable mails, but I would prefer to have both mails and chats.
ross Team
ross Oct 28 '15
First of all, one issue per topic. 

Please provide screenshot of the "Undefined" issue. 

What is your software version?
What is your messages plugin version? 

HW
HW Oct 29 '15
1.  I have one issue.  I'll clarify it:  There is a problem replying to mails (not chats) on mobile devices while using the desktop version.
a. I am hoping for an answer other than "use the mobile version."  I have the mobile version of my site disabled and want to force users to use the desktop version because I have a responsive theme, and the mobile version doesn't show the entire site.
b. I am hoping for an answer other than "disable mails."  I would prefer to have both mails and chats on my site.

2.  Edit:  Replacing with screenshots from a demo site with the default theme, mobile disabled, and no extra plugins added.
-Screenshot #1 showing "undefined" issue:  https://www.dropbox.com/...4%2022%20AM.png?dl=0
-Screenshot #2 showing that sometimes there is a blank area instead of the "undefined" issue:  https://www.dropbox.com/...5%2018%20AM.png?dl=0

3.  I am using Oxwall 1.8.0 (build 9900).

4.  Edit:  My more tech-savvy partner informs me we are using version 9900 of the Messages plugin.

Additional information since my original post:
-Sometimes the "undefined" message doesn't come and it is just a blank area with nothing tappable (see second screenshot).
-Mail replies may work on Android devices using Chrome.
-Edit:  So may be an iPad/Apple product issue.  Screenshots taken from an iPad mini with iOS 9.1.
The Forum post is edited by HW Oct 29 '15
ross Team
ross Oct 29 '15
HW, from what device did you do those screenshots?
HW
HW Oct 30 '15

Quote from HW Screenshots taken from an iPad mini with iOS 9.1.

I also have had a user claiming an iPhone 6 with iOS 8.3 reporting the same issue.
ross Team
ross Oct 30 '15
HW, yes, there's such an issue on tablets but  you're right, we do not support desktop version of the website on mobile devices, you need to use mobile version of the site, there's nothing we can do to assist you with that. You're using Simplicity theme and it is not responsive. Why did you think that. 
HW
HW Oct 30 '15
On my actual site, I am using the Poly Purple theme, which according to its description in the store is responsive. As I said above, those screenshots were on a demo site. I wanted to show the issue was not plugin related or a result of any changes we made on our site. The problem looks the same with the Poly Purple theme.

So what I am getting from your answer is Apple devices cannot reply to mails and that's the way it is supposed to be? No fix?
ross Team
ross Nov 1 '15
Yes, we do not support desktop version of the website on mobile devices, that is why there's a mobile version of the website. 
HW
HW Nov 2 '15
Understood.  I look forward to the mobile version getting better in future updates.

For anyone else who comes across this bug, finds the mobile version too limiting, and is searching for answers, we have discovered a workaround:

Tell your Apple device users to access the site using Chrome and choose the "request desktop site" option.  They should be able to respond to any mails they have gotten then.