We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Contribute - Events | Forum

brindy
brindy May 10 '12
While this plugin works great it's missing a few features for our group, namely:

- limit the number of attendees (e.g. max 6)

- invite all members (i.e. the same as inviting each person individually but in one go)

- invite a group (i.e. the same as inviting each of the individuals but by selecting a group)

- show events on the group pages

I suspect I can add this functionality myself, but I'd like to contribute it back so that I get other people's improvements too.  What's the best way to do that?  Diff/Patch?

Also, I realise the integration with groups is cross-plugin.  Any suggestions on how to handle that?

Thanks in advance. 

brindy
brindy May 10 '12
Another thing:

- Allow group creators to be 'moderator' for their group forums.

Den Team
Den May 14 '12
Hey Christopher,

Agreed that groups plugin missed some key features like photos and events. 

In general, there are no plans to include too many options into this plugin. We don't want to make it too complex and difficult. This is one of the main goals of Oxwall Foundation. 

But you can always realize your own vision and improvements for groups by creating own plugin. Which could be extended from native for exam. 

brindy
brindy May 20 '12
It's more about missing functionality in the events module, but I take your point.

So how do you recommend that I extend the from native (I presume you mean use the existing plugin as an example)?

I tried renaming the plugin and using my developer key but there's a lot of places that I seem to have to change names.  The easiest thing for me would be to just edit the existing plugin but then I lose the benefit of any future updates.

Suggestion:  Why not create a public git repo on github.com for each of the core/base plugins.  Then people can fork them and make changes.  If the main plugin changes people can merge with their fork.  Likewise if a developer makes a nice change on their fork it can be pulled in to the core/base if you want to.

brindy
brindy May 20 '12
In fact, I can see the oxwall code is on github.  I suppose I could just fork everything, to make my changes, though it seems a bit heavy.  You could make the plugins git submodules then it would be easier for developers to work with small parts of the system. :)
Den Team
Den May 21 '12
We didn't publish oxwall repo in public yet officially. The main reason - our internal team infrastructure doesn't ready for processing incoming commits and bug reports. But actually, we are doing best to make it possible soon.

For now, the only way for you extend the plugin - update it with your own code. 

Here is an easiest way to implement it:

1) replace developer key, plugin key. Exchange class name and methods with your to avoid conflicts with base events plugin. Note: this operations should be performed once. 

2) Improve events plugin with your changes. Don't forget about Oxwall coding standarts

3) Upload your plugin to Store. 

When the new version of base event plugin will be published. You will be able to merge it with yours, update it and upload to store. 

If your events plugin will provide a lot of advanced and useful benefits for event-based website users, we could mark it as featured. So the most people wil see it. 

But basic plugin will be always available as a simple events plugin. 

Sounds good, what do you think?

The Forum post is edited by Den May 21 '12
brindy
brindy May 24 '12
Hi,

That makes sense, but it looks like the plugin-key is tightly coupled throughout the code and is a PITA to change.  I'm editing the existing one directly and pushing changes to a git repo here:

https://github.com/brindy/oxwall-events

The only plugin.xml change is the version number and use of my developer key.

For what I want, that'll do for now.  I'm not interested in publishing to the store, but am happy for others to pick up my contributions.

Cheers,

Chris

You do not have permission to reply this topic