We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

installation help | Forum

Anant
Anant May 13 '12
I used wall.fm and i am a newbie to oxwall, more to say ftp and everything. I registered on this web host and created a site here and I made a sub-directory, that is community and uploaded the oxwall file. Now can anybody give the step-by-step guide to installation here because I do not understand it from the toturial.
The Forum post is edited by Anant May 13 '12
Michael I.
Michael I. May 13 '12
What part of tutorial you don't understand?
Anant
Anant May 13 '12

Purusothaman Ramanujam
Does your webhost supports cpanel?
Anant
Anant May 13 '12
I can't tell as i do not know. Can you find out for me my web host is FreeWebHosting Service.
Anant
Anant May 14 '12
I also tried to install on Freehostia but it is showing a 500 internal error. They have apache /1.3.33 server. Please help. My domain was This.
The Forum post is edited by Anant May 14 '12
Anant
Anant May 14 '12
the server info and php info are in the attachments.
Attachments:
  server info.png (28.68Kb)
  phpinfo .png (1068.21Kb)
Michael I.
Michael I. May 16 '12
Anant, as it was already stated multiple times, free hosting is not the best option for Oxwall. Consider about going with one of the recommended hosting companies: http://www.oxwall.org/hosting
Mark
Mark May 16 '12
Quote from AnantThey have apache /1.3.33 server.

Did you read the server requirements?

Oxwall needs Apache 2 or higher

Anant
Anant May 19 '12
Quote from Mark
Did you read the server requirements?

Oxwall needs Apache 2 or higher

Web Hosting Area and 000Webhost have apache 2.1 and 2.2 servers, so will it work on them?

The Forum post is edited by Anant May 19 '12
Adhy Musaad
Adhy Musaad May 19 '12
Please use Pay Hosting :)
Anant
Anant May 19 '12
In both of them it is written that they support curl but I do not know how to use it.
Anant
Anant May 19 '12
Quote from Adhy Musaad Please use Pay Hosting :)

I want to try oxwall first, then i will move to payed hosting. I used it on wall.fm but as they do not give all the features, so I am a little confused. I am using wordpress too and it is working fine.
Adhy Musaad
Adhy Musaad May 19 '12
I suggest you use a paid hosting. oxwall very pleasant
Anant
Anant May 19 '12
I will but first i need to try it

Anant
Anant May 21 '12
Can't oxwall make it's installation like Wordpress. It will be a lot more easier for us. That is why wordpress is more widely used. Both have good features but this is oxwall's drawback. Please consider as a suggestion for the next update. Thanks in advance.
The Forum post is edited by Anant May 21 '12
Michael I.
Michael I. May 22 '12
What do you mean by installation like Wordpress? Oxwall installation process is very similar to the process of installing Joomla or Wordpress.
Anant
Anant May 22 '12
In wordpress you only have to fill the database details, upload the file, install it and in oxwall there are much more requirements than WP or BP.
Anant
Anant May 23 '12
Ok, I agree oxwall is better and I have successfully installed it on a free account. No limit for webspace and bandwidth. Xraxy.com rocks. Softalacous rocks. Oxwall rocks.
The Forum post is edited by Anant May 23 '12
Mark
Mark May 24 '12
Quote from Anant In wordpress you only have to fill the database details, upload the file, install it and in oxwall there are much more requirements than WP or BP.

By default wordpress is only a blog so is bound to be a lot easier to install, its like saying that building a cottage is quicker then building a block of flats.
Quote from Anant Ok, I agree oxwall is better and I have successfully installed it on a free account. No limit for webspace and bandwidth. Xraxy.com rocks. Softalacous rocks. Oxwall rocks.

for the record there is no such thing as unlimited webspace or bandwidth, and any auto-install programs actually suck, you learn so much more by downloading it, extracting it, FTP'ing it back to the server and running a manual install. auto install programs never take into account software requirements and have seen many broken installs in the past because auto-installers skip parts of the install.

If you want a decent oxwall install (1) get some decent paid hosting, ideally your looking at a small VPS @ around $30/month (mine currently cost $89/month) (2) install it manually so if anything goes wrong you know where it went wrong

Pages: 1 2 »