We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

403 Forbidden Error | Forum

Heather
Heather May 28 '12
I have seen this problem mentioned in the forum, but could not find how to resolve it. 

I am trying to modify the language files using the admin area of the site.  I would adjust manually, but am having difficulty locating the files....Anyhow, when I try to save the changes I get this error

403 Forbidden
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /members/admin/languages on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

When I open my .htaccess file, I do not understand what I am reading.  This is what it says...

Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine On

AddEncoding gzip .gz
AddEncoding gzip .gzip
<FilesMatch "\.(js.gz|js.gzip)$">
  ForceType text/javascript
</FilesMatch>
<FilesMatch "\.(css.gz|css.gzip)$">
  ForceType text/css
</FilesMatch>

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} .*/http-bind
RewriteRule (.*) /http-bind [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/index.php
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !/ow_updates/index.php
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !/ow_updates/
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (/|\.php|\.html|\.htm|\.feed|\.raw|/[^.]*)$  [NC]

RewriteRule (.*) index.php

Can you please help me fix this?

Michael I.
Michael I. May 31 '12
Heather, 403 error usually means that you don't have access to a certain folder or file. This is a server restriction which can be removed by the hosting support operator. Contact them to solve your problem.
Heather
Heather Jun 3 '12
This is not a problem with my server.  Sometimes it works, and other times it does not.  I am completely confused.  Can someone share the path to the language files to update them in an editor?

I simply want to update the line on the log-in screen under the log-in form that says "or Join"

It seems simple enough, but I can't find it!

I also wanted to update some words on the join form.  It let me do that in the "language settings", bur  updating other language in base commands does not work.  Like when I tried to change the language for the "welcome...thanks for joining us page" 

I gave up on that one, but I really need to remove the "Join" link from the log-in page.
The Forum post is edited by Heather Jun 3 '12
Michael I.
Michael I. Jun 4 '12
Ask your hosting company to check into the issue and ask them to pay attention to mod_security rules.