We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

email notifications about a new private message are not sent | Forum

Marisa
Marisa Jan 29 '16
This is NOT a cron-related problem. My cron is working fine and everything is being sent fine, except for notifications about a new private message.

The thing is, in many cases, for unknown reason, these notifications are simply not being generated by the system. When I look in the table ow_mailbox_conversation, in the column "notificationSent" it always says "0"!! Almost never "1". 

I understand it doesn't send notifications to users who checked the box "Never" receive notifications in their preferences, and to users who've just recently been on the site, within 2 days. But I was testing it on users whose email notifications are turned ON and who have not been on the site for AGES!! For months... And still, it always says in phpmyadmin - "notificationSent - 0" :(

As a result, people are unaware there are new private messages waiting. Why is it so??? How to fix it? 

UPDATE: on a test user I set preferences to "Immediately" receive email notification. Sent that user a private message. "notificationSent" - zero again!!! WTH???

The Forum post is edited by Marisa Jan 29 '16
tammy harris
tammy harris Jan 30 '16
yes there seams to be problem with mails i have not say anything and have been waiting for some one to post about it

i have a few accounts set up on my site and 
a lot of the time do not receive any mail untill i get a mail from reminder plugins saying i have a friends request

when i do receive a mail from the site and login theres lots notifications in my list that the mail does not have in it 

then i do get some every now and then  that have all the notifications in them 
but that only seams to be on profiles that have friends notifications plugin set to email them 

The Forum post is edited by tammy harris Jan 30 '16
Marisa
Marisa Jan 30 '16
yeah, some notifications are delayed, some never sent at all, some sent immediately. On my site it happens only with private messages notifications.

Yesterday SOME notifications were finally sent. After 8 hours (!!) of delay some "notificationSent" values in ow_mailbox_conversation have finally changed from "0" to "1" and notifications were sent. But some are still sitting with "0" value.

I cannot figure out how it works.

tammy harris
tammy harris Jan 30 '16
i think the problem ic cron 

oxwall does everything on on cron 

when u add lots plugins and have plenty members ots to much for one cron

the cron needs to be 2 or even 3 differant runs

every script does this because of problems like this

but not oxwall

skatdate has 2 cron runs to fix this problem 

The Forum post is edited by tammy harris Jan 30 '16
ross Team
ross Jan 31 '16

Notifications about new message are sent by cron

Which option have you set in your notification settings? 

Immediately

Automatically (if you don't show up on the site for 2 days)

Never

Before the notifications being sent it appears in the ow_base_mail table then if the cron runs and configured properly the table empties out and the mails are sent to your mails server. 

So you need to make sure your cron is properly configured and running. You can send test mass mail and check whether the mail appears in the ow_base_mail table and then goes out from there. As soon as the table empties out, the software is no longer responsible for the mail to be delivered, the rest is up to the mail server. 

The Forum post is edited by ross Jan 31 '16
Marisa
Marisa Feb 2 '16
I tested it with Immediately setting, but this "immediately" lasted 8 hours before notifications actually appeared in ow_base_mail table. 

It doesn't happen all the time, but occasionally.
I DID try sending test mass-mail to our three moderators, and the mail appears in ow_base_mail table right away, then leaves it as cron runs (once a minute), so my cron is working. 
Probably Tammy is right, the software is lagging, but I only have 22K members. And what will happen when I have 100K??? 500K?? :)

ross Team
ross Feb 2 '16
PM me your Cpanel access details and admin website access details, I'll take a look at the issue. 
ross Team
ross Feb 2 '16
Topic was moved from General Questions.
tammy harris
tammy harris Feb 7 '16
only one thing out of 16  got in the notification mail

so for 15 times the trigger for make the email was not pulled 

tammy harris
tammy harris Feb 9 '16
no answer??
ross Team
ross Feb 9 '16
what's the domain where the issue ocurrs?
tammy harris
tammy harris Feb 9 '16
on both and my test site 

test site only every now and then
open retreat happens often but only few hundred users
naughty  happens all the time 

the more user you have the more plugins the less emails are sent 

the cron or what ever triggers to make the mails must get over loaded 

i have had ppl tell me they not get mail  and when they do its its from parus reminder plugin  
not from notification plugin
and when they come to site they have 20 messages and 50 notifications
and not one of them did they get a mail 

ross Team
ross Feb 9 '16
provide domains please
The Forum post is edited by ross Feb 9 '16
tammy harris
tammy harris Feb 9 '16
https://www.thenaughtyretreat.com

parus reminder notifications plugin has no problems and sends all mail

what actual triggers the mail to be made is it cron 
tammy harris
tammy harris Feb 9 '16
it must be cron theres does not seam any other way it could be 
i will stuff around with cron run and see if i can make it 2 runs 
ross Team
ross Feb 10 '16
how often is your cron set to run?
The Forum post is edited by ross Feb 10 '16
ross Team
ross Feb 10 '16
provide screenshot of ow_base_mail table now please?
The Forum post is edited by ross Feb 10 '16
tammy harris
tammy harris Feb 10 '16
every minute
tammy harris
tammy harris Feb 10 '16
but as i have posted before its getting overloaded 
tammy harris
tammy harris Feb 10 '16
its empty
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 »