We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Oxwall , how to detect 404 ? | Forum

UTAN
UTAN Feb 8 '16
Hi guys,

So I am being trying to detect error 404 , and I have looked everywhere since Oxwall passes this header to a 404 page can anyone tell me where is being called from?

Like to find so I can return a redirect and so pages that doesn't exit don't get 404 and stop google from complaining..
tammy harris
tammy harris Feb 8 '16
you need to remove all broken links 
UTAN
UTAN Feb 8 '16
@tammy, thanks

But that's not possible, users deleted their accounts or newsfeed are broken..

Or am I missing something, best thing is do 301 and fix it.
tammy harris
tammy harris Feb 8 '16
no the best thing is for the plug to be fixed and remove the entries when a user is deleted 

i seam to remember this being reported few years ago 
UTAN
UTAN Feb 8 '16
What do you mean?
  That oxwall should of not let index the user base.. 

Can you explain? 
tammy harris
tammy harris Feb 9 '16
show me screen shots of where the broken links are 
UTAN
UTAN Feb 9 '16
@Tammy,

the broken links as indexed users /user/* where * used to be a username those were indexed by google now they return 404 which is correct they don't exit.. so Oxwall is doing fine..

I just need to test if they exit and redirect if they don't but can't find the code..

I can just tell google bot not index the /user and /newsfeed URI but don't want to do that..

any suggestion.?
tammy harris
tammy harris Feb 9 '16
Post screen shot showing where they are
UTAN
UTAN Feb 9 '16
@tammy,

Thanks for ur kind help, but with due respect i don't see the point of showing a screen cap..

But appreciate it..
UTAN
UTAN Feb 9 '16
Quote from Chris_W Let me get this right. You want to be able to test to see if any entries in Google still exist on your site, and redirect the ones that don't.  If that's the case, not sure how you'd do that, as you have no way of knowing what Google has or hasn't indexed.
You could just set up a custom 404 error page that redirected you to the homepage.
Hi thanks,

I think misswrote the whole question, what I want is detect the 404 in oxwall , Oxwall parses the page if found if not then send it to a oxwall 404 then there should be a check somewhere that tells Oxwall that the page doesn't exist anymore..

Can't find in the code.. where is being tested..

I try doing in Nginx but is not the server parsing it but is Oxwall at php level..

Thanks
tammy harris
tammy harris Feb 9 '16
So i can see where they r u idiot if u dont want help fine 
UTAN
UTAN Feb 9 '16
Quote from Tammy So i can see where they r u idiot if u dont want help fine 
This is not a place for insults, 

Thanks for ur help though.
UTAN
UTAN Feb 11 '16
@ross,

Are you around any idea where I can find the code?