We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Newsfeed Mis-Reporting activity | Forum

Lisa
Lisa May 31 '12

I'm not sure where the faults for these errors are...  but I am having problems with the way some of our site activity is being reported on the news feed.

Examples...

When someone joins a group, the newsfeed reports it like this:

At left, Admin's avatar (not the avatar of the person whose activity is being report), then the post itself is:

"Admin created new group"

userpic of group

name of group

description of group

Total users: x

Pics of recent users

And then under ALL that is a very small msg that says:

"Username just joined"

So - it really looks like Admin just created a new group... if you're not looking closely, you can't tell that it's ACTUALLY announcing that someone just joined a group.

Another example, this one especially annoying... has to do with the Questions plugin.

User (we'll call her Molly) responds to a Question that someone else (we'll say Bob) asked. Newsfeed displays this:

Bob's Userpic

Bob answered (question name) with (molly's answer)

And then a preview of top answers.

This is a big problem. Because Bob didn't answer anything. Bob asked the question. It was actually Molly who just answered the poll - but the newsfeed displays it totally differently!

Lisa
Lisa Jun 2 '12
Anyone?
Michael I.
Michael I. Jun 4 '12
Did you make any database modifications? Looks like member's ID were switched.
Lisa
Lisa Jun 4 '12

No. I leave the database alone.

Further - when you go to the Polls page directly, the activity is reported correctly. So in this case, on the Polls page it would say Molly answered the polls.

Newsfeed still says Bob is who is answering.

Weird, eh?

Michael I.
Michael I. Jun 7 '12
Weird indeed. Will speak to developers about this and get back to you with a reply.
Lisa
Lisa Jun 12 '12
Any word on this yet?
Michael I.
Michael I. Jun 15 '12
PM me your access details for your server (FTP and phpMyAdmin), Admin Panel and provide me with both users access details. We will check into the issue more thoroughly.
Lisa
Lisa Jun 15 '12
I think you've misunderstood. This is happening to ALL users. Whomever has created the poll (currently only admin accounts can create polls) is who the newsfeed reports as having answered the poll in the newsfeed even though it's a member of the site who has responded. There are not "two users" involved. I just provided an example so you would understand how the activity is being reported. And there is the way newsfeed reports the group activity as well as you can see.
Michael I.
Michael I. Jun 19 '12
Is that the problem with Questions plugin only? Or with other plugins as well?
Lisa
Lisa Jun 19 '12

I'm also noticing a discrepancy when someone joins a group as I mentioned. See below.

Quote from Lisa

When someone joins a group, the newsfeed reports it like this:

At left, Admin's avatar (not the avatar of the person whose activity is being report), then the post itself is:

"Admin created new group"

userpic of group

name of group

description of group

Total users: x

Pics of recent users

And then under ALL that is a very small msg that says:

"Username just joined"

So - it really looks like Admin just created a new group... if you're not looking closely, you can't tell that it's ACTUALLY announcing that someone just joined a group.

Lisa
Lisa Jun 23 '12
update: with most recent platform/plugin updates - this is now fixed! All newsfeed activity appears to be reporting correctly.
Oxwall Accessories
Oxwall Accessories May 1 '14
I seem to have this issue. I do have the news feed mod to fix the avatar replacing the orignal posters avatar. Anyone have a a fix for the groups issue.