We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Is there a mobile version in 1.4? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Douglas
Douglas Jun 21 '12
Hello again team. Just wondering if you've added a stripped down mobile version to the software yet in 1.4?

Erol Haagenrud
Erol Haagenrud Jun 21 '12
I am pretty sure the answer is no.
I updated as soon as I understood 1.4 was released, just because of this. But the site appears the same on mobile-phones as it did earlier, allthough I have updated core, plugins and themes. (One exception though; the photos can't be viewed anymore.)

I tried to read me up a little bit on responsive design, which is the best way to go, and, if the designers and developers of Oxwall are used to the "oldfashioned" CSS-way to design this, I can understand if it gets delayed. For me it seemed pretty complicated... :)
Purusothaman Ramanujam
No. Not in 1.4
Douglas
Douglas Jun 21 '12
Ok thank You !
Michael I.
Michael I. Jun 21 '12
Mobile app is in planning stage at the moment and it would take some time before we release it. Not a month or two. Thanks for understanding.
Erol Haagenrud
Erol Haagenrud Jun 21 '12

Quote from aka_le_Mulder Mobile app is in planning stage at the moment and it would take some time before we release it. Not a month or two. Thanks for understanding.

You are planning an app? Or do you mean theme?
Douglas
Douglas Jun 21 '12
Both an App and Theme would be a good idea. Some people don't like downloading apps, and could just access the site via web and have it display the simple mobile version, instead of the full web version.

Leo
Leo Jun 21 '12
A theme would get around the App Store's requirements, take much less time (no native SDKs and languages to learn), and would be much more modular. I don't know why this hasn't been implemented yet, it's at the core of every social network... Great work with 1.4 though!
Joseph
Joseph Jun 21 '12
been discussing mobile for a long time and as I am to understand there will be a mobile version of the sites that will be available and an app for droids and iphone first then other platforms
Erol Haagenrud
Erol Haagenrud Jun 22 '12

Quote from Jasper Guess I will have to design this myself as well huh?

It would be great if you did! (And shared...)
:)
jeo
jeo Jun 25 '12
people best place to create an free app is @ibulidapp.com its great but only when using it the site looks messed up with out a mobile theme you know what i mean. Well i hope one of the owall theme creators could create an theme for us free or a small fee for the hard work be nice :)
Douglas
Douglas Jun 25 '12
It seems to me that we wouldnt need an entire new theme. Just basically the newsfeed and photo upload so people can share things from their phones.

When a user accesses the site from their phone, it'll redirect them to a simple page just containing the newsfeed....

?

Douglas
Douglas Jun 25 '12
i can interact with mine also on my phone, but im getting old and it hurts my eyes to look at it so tiny. Plus is hard to hit the correct links with my gorilla sized fingers.

If i knew how to design this stuff, id make the most awesome app ever. 

jeo
jeo Jun 26 '12
ummm try this site i tryed it makes site mobile free but still don't look nice but someone els probly can help sort it www.dudamobile.com, help me if you can get this looking good :)
Great_Day
Great_Day Jun 26 '12
hi there,

In the last days I have done some custom editing on the graphite theme from oxwall. It is still faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from done, but it is a start.

Take a look over here; http://greatyu.heliohost.org/ow (only use mobile web browser!)

I probably will be limited by time in the incomming days, but I will try to work on it. It is also pretty hard to modify things as the image are really small, if I make them bigger they become very blurry (not really high quality, what I can understand).

Honestly the best thing would be to create a HTML5 (and CSS3) framework. On which people can build a child theme on. HTML5 is really fast and reliable. This will require a lot of php skills. I don't have them, so I can't do anything there, sorry.

If someone is interested I can  give you the theme as it is now...
The Forum post is edited by Great_Day Jun 26 '12
jeo
jeo Jun 27 '12
looks a bit better but not rely good on my mobile tho :( but its a start :)
jeo
jeo Jun 27 '12
i found this link and hoping someone can find use out of it and make their site mobile friendly and tell me how todo it when you done it? http://www.mikeindustries.com/...site-mobile-friendly
Andreas
Andreas Aug 16 '12
Hello out there.

Just try this theme ;)
Graphite Extended

Think its a good first step :D
The Forum post is edited by Andreas Aug 16 '12