We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

new forum category | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Seyed
Seyed May 3 '16
Hi
I have installed Oxwall and played with its various parts. But I cannot figure out how to add a new forum type; at the moment, the only forum type seems to be called "GENERAL CHAT". That is, when I want to create a new topic, it asks for the type of forum to add the topic to, but it only includes "general chat".

Even right now, when I writing this question, I can see in this Oxwall site that I can choose the forum to which this topic is added. Among the options I can see are "General Questions", "Bug reports and troubleshooting", "Oxwall store", etc. But in my site, I can only see "General Chat".

Thanks for your hints.
dave Leader
dave May 3 '16
Hi, 

Welcome to Oxwall :)

Go to forum click on customize this page and then you can add a new section in there. 

Hope that helps :)

Seyed
Seyed May 3 '16
Hi Dave,

Thanks very much for your help. That's great.

Best,
Seyed
dave Leader
dave May 3 '16
YW :)  if you need more help let us know.. 
Seyed
Seyed May 3 '16
Sure, thanks very much Dave.
Best,
Seyed
Seyed
Seyed May 3 '16
Dave, I can now add a forum to a section, but I cannot yet add a section. Am I missing your points?
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B May 3 '16
When in the customize mode. When you click on add new forum a box pops up with.
1. Forum Name
2. Section
3. Description
A.You can add a forum by typing it into the "Forum Name" box.
B. You can list it under a section in the list you create in the "Section" box, or create a new section by typing it there.
C. Add a description for the forum in the "Description" box.
Seyed
Seyed May 3 '16
By a section, I mean a something line "Support" section and "Community Exchange" section as the first two sections in the Oxwall site.

And by a forum, I mean "General Questions" and "Bug reports and troubleshooting" as the first two forums under the "Support" section in the Oxwall site.

Now, I know how to add a new topic in a forum. I also know how to use the "customize this page" as you mentioned to add a new forum to a section. But, how can we add a new section?
Thanks very much.
Seyed
Seyed May 3 '16
Thanks very much Darryl and Dave, I now understand. Great.

Best regards
Seyed

Darryl B Leader
Darryl B May 3 '16
Here is a screenshot where I created a Forum called "Test" with a description of "Just a test section". I typed in the section name of "Test Section" to create a new section.
I then went back in and created another forum called "Another Test", and gave it a description of "Another test forum". I selected the "Test Section" I created from the dropdown list in the "Section" field, and clicked "add forum"
Attachments:
  Forum Example.jpg (63Kb)
Seyed
Seyed May 3 '16
Thanks very much Darryl for your precise explanation. It now works.
Thanks once again.

Darryl B Leader
Darryl B May 3 '16
It took me a bit at first as well. Maybe this will help others as well.
dave Leader
dave May 3 '16
Nice job Darryl :)
Seyed
Seyed May 3 '16
Thanks Dave
Best regards
sayed
dave Leader
dave May 3 '16
YW Seyed, if you need anything just ask... :)
The Forum post is edited by dave May 3 '16
Seyed
Seyed May 4 '16
Sure, thanks. I have a question regarding android apps, but because it is different from previous discussion, I now create a new topic for it. Thanks.