We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Comment spamming issue | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Shreya Tili
Shreya Tili May 9 '16

My hosting company has suspended my website for the following reason.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have been deactivated for negatively affecting the performance of the entire server.

You must optimize all files, scripts, and databases.

Comment spamming, customer was causing excessive load negatively impacting other customers on the server. Table stats: 88092247 ow_forum_post softway1_oxwall 47904800 ow_newsfeed_action_set softway1_oxwall 38558350 ow_antispammer_spamip softway1_oxwall 28335721 ow_newsfeed_activity softway1_oxwall 27188147 ow_base_question_data softway1_oxwall 24932533 ow_antispammer_spamip_log softway1_oxwall 16457557 ow_forum_topic softway1_oxwall 11573068 ow_base_comment softway1_oxwall 7100534 ow_base_user softway1_oxwall 5609682 ow_notifications_notification softway1_oxwall Customer should prevent comment spamming by following steps: 1. Add a captcha to his comment form as well as registration form to prevent bot comments or bot registration. 2. Manually approve registration or let user approve it via email. 3. Disable auto-registration without email approval. 4. Use a plugin/module that prevents remote/bot/spam comments

Isssues with performance usually involve queries(query time logs) that are to long. What is happening is that most of the time the account has some sort of a performance issue(looking through to many rows before loading). This can bog down the system because it crates to much of a load or rather creates a demand of resources.

Once you determine the source of the issue in the FM you can look in the PHPmyadmin to see how many rows are in that database. A good indicator is to see if there are any databases that look like they shouldn't have to many resources. For example most _comments or _user tables should not exceed more than a thousand on a basic shared account. If they do it is recommend that the account be upgraded once cleaned. This is not a requirement to have the account restored however.

Ex email: This database is causing massive amounts of mysql database server issues: ___________ , Please look through the mysql_slow_queries logs directory in the tmp folder of the root of your account it should shed some light as to whats causing the problem. Some times plugins are broken and need to be updated or you need to enable caching. Please if you are not sure how to resolve this contact a Database Administrator to assist you.

------------------------------------------------------------------

There are no auto generated account. I manually approve all registrations. There is a captcha in place for registrations.

Beyond this, I am not sure what I am supposed to be doing to resolve it.

The hosting company tells me they will reactivate my account once I have resolved the comment spamming issue.

Can someone please help?

ross Team
ross May 10 '16
I'm sorry Sheila, but you need either to delete/suspend these users or enable mandatory approve setting on your website. 
Otherwise you need to change your hosting provider

Also, please take a look at this post: http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/11284

The Forum post is edited by ross May 10 '16