We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Wall Posts | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Danielle
Danielle May 13 '16
Is there a way to add replies to wall posts? This way my users can post for their friends or groups to view, like and comment without it being shared sitewide?
dave Leader
dave May 13 '16
I could be wrong here but posts on the dashboard are only for friends i believe if that helps, but you want wall instead?

Are you referring to the posts inside the user profile?

The Forum post is edited by dave May 13 '16
Danielle
Danielle May 13 '16

Quote from dave I could be wrong here but posts on the dashboard are only for friends i believe if that helps, but you want wall instead?

Are you referring to the posts inside the user profile?

News Feed posts are site wide and I don't know how to change it to friends or groups only. I posted a photo in a group and it showed up site wide which negates the point of posting in a group to begin with. Which is why I would like it if wall posts had likes and replies

The Forum post is edited by Danielle May 13 '16
dave Leader
dave May 13 '16
I see what you mean now.  Well this is not a total solution but if you go to plugins and then newsfeed and then content you can turn off groups there so they dont show on the newsfeed. 
Danielle
Danielle May 13 '16
I will try it and see if it works. Though I would like it if people in the groups could see it in their news feed. Can't have everything I guess haha
dave Leader
dave May 13 '16
just tested, if i make a post in my dashboard, someone who is not my friend cannot see it on their dashboard but they can see it on the main page newsfeed. 

however with profile wall comments turned off it still shows on the main page newsfeed (which is a bug i believe) 

but it does not show on the dashboard unless we are friends.  

So yeah i think its this is a bug, if you turn off profile wall posts in newsfeed settings content then it should not show in newsfeed, (which is the purpose of the setting),  but will in dashboard if friends which is correct. 

So half of the process seems to work :) 

Hopefully ross will see this when he gets back. 

The Forum post is edited by dave May 13 '16
Danielle
Danielle May 13 '16
Wall posts don't show up in any newsfeed settings because it's seperate from the newsfeed. I just wish users could like and comment wall posts without having to post it from the news feed
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B May 13 '16
I just did a test from a post I remembered seeing. If the group is set to private "Invitation Only" Text posts and likes are only visible to the members either in the group page, or their dashboard, but photos posted in private groups will show up on the profile newsfeed of the person that liked it, and then non group members can see the photo. Nothing from the private group shows up on the main page newsfeed. The photo issue for private groups must be a bit of coding that was overlooked.

It appears that the Oxwall team needs to apply the same code that they have for the main page newsfeed into the profile newsfeed in relation to photos for private groups since nothing shows up there. Maybe Ross can jump in here, and give some input.
The Forum post is edited by Darryl B May 13 '16
Danielle
Danielle May 13 '16
The problem is I posted a photo on the news feed in a private group, and it went to the news feed photos to be shown throughout the site, however if I post the photo as a wall post in the group, no one can like or comment on it. I would like to be able to make private posts viewable to only group members that can be liked and commented on.
WOO
WOO May 14 '16
the dashboard always show everything? such as set group does not show at newsfeed settings, the post of group still show in dashboard.
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B May 14 '16
Dashboard is only viewable to the member. Only allowed, and/or content relevant to the user will display there.
Danielle
Danielle May 14 '16
But I've had people tell me they could see posts from a private group they are not in if it posted to news feed in the group and like I have said the wall posts that are actually private, no one can like or comment on them. I'm not talking about the dashboard.
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B May 14 '16
Yea I know. I was just posting what I had done on my test site. As admin.
1. I posted a comment in the private group news feed, and liked it.
2. I posted a pic in the private group news feed, and liked it.
3. I could see both on my dashboard news feed, but didn't see either on the main page news feed.
4. I didn't see the comment, and like on the profile news feed, but I did see the pic, and like on the profile news feed.

I logged in with a demo account that is not a member of the private group.
1. I didn't see either on the dashboard news feed for the demo account, or on the main page news feed. I did see the pic with the like on the admin profile news feed, but didn't see the comment with the like.

I am using the standard Groups, and News feed plugins. Hopefully by pointing out the issue with pics in private groups showing on profile new feeds may prompt some attention from the Oxwall team.

As for the "Wall" I know there is an issue with the questions plugin, but as for likes functionality, that would require a custom code modification.
Danielle
Danielle May 14 '16
But did the pic show up under Photos, publicly for everyone to see when you posted it to the news feed in the group? Because for me it does which really isn't what I or any of my users want.
Danielle
Danielle May 14 '16
I also assumed the Privacy plugin would help control user content privacy but the plugin does absolutely nothing
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B May 14 '16
I didn't look at the photo page until you mentioned it, but yes it also shows there using the demo account without group access. Apparently another area of consideration for the Oxwall team related to private groups.
The privacy plugin is limited to the user. They can set items to be either visible to a few categories, or to everyone. If they set "Photos" for instance to be visible to friends only, then all of their photos would only be visible to friends; even the ones they wanted for public view. Unfortunately the privacy plugin doesn't work for specific items like groups, or events. I've seen posts, at various times, from people asking for more functionality, and control in these two areas. Maybe at some point they will make it on the table for an overhaul.
Danielle
Danielle May 14 '16
I don't even get the privacy options on my user accounts. Idk if I am doing something wrong? I am honestly such a newbie so I may be missing a step?  I have an admin account and a regular user account and I don't see the options to change privacy settings. 
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B May 14 '16
If you have the privacy plugin installed, you should see "Privacy" in the console dropdown list. Just click on it, and the privacy page should open where you can modify the settings.
Danielle
Danielle May 14 '16
Console dropdown list? In the installed plugins? I don't see any settings. 
Danielle
Danielle May 14 '16
OH! I found where you mean now! Sorry I am a bit slow! haha Thank you!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »