We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

It's update time again and so help us to help you please | Forum

dave Leader
dave May 19 '16
It gets fairly busy around here during update releases so please help us to help you faster.  Try to have the basic data we need so we don't have to ask for it. 

What is your setup (ie Apache with Cpanel, xampp, wamp ect.)?

What version of the software did you update from and to?

What is your PHP version?

What error or issue are you having, please explain: - help me i have an error tells us nothing folks.

Include a screen shot if you can:

Check your htaccess file to see if it has changed:

Check your config.php file to see if it has changed: 

Have you disabled third party plugins and custom javascript?

Put the site in dev mode and refresh your cache or take your site off of dev mode and run the free cache cleaner extreme plugin in the store https://developers.oxwall.com/store/item/579

Put your site on debug mode and let us know if there is an error

Then come to the form and post what you can of all of that information so we can help people faster get through these rushes.  

Thanks

Dave :)

bobbi
bobbi May 19 '16
I have a idea how about oxwall offer a platform update service say you donate 50 dollars or whatever and you get a full update no one now offers this service, skalfa doesn't anymore, I would happily pay this money for peace of mind that my site would be updated correctly just like skalfa used to offer
dave Leader
dave May 19 '16
Post it on the voice bobbi and maybe it can get some votes :)

Here is reminder folks of how to do a basic update: 

1. Make a backup of your site and export a db version as well.  Better to have two copies one in your back up and one by itself. 

1a.  Also make a copy of your TOS and privacy policies.  Just copy and paste them into a notepad just in case you need to put them back.

2. Turn on maintenance mode for your site.

3. Disable all plugins, your active plugin list should be clean, nothing there at all. Everything should have moved down to the inactive section. 

4. change to the default theme (simplicity) (used to be origin)

5. turn on debug mode

6. run the update

7. either switch to dev mode (turning off debug mode) and clear your cache or use the cache plugin (yes activate it)

8. check your site

9. start activating plugins, do the basic ones first, the ones that came out of the box with Oxwall.  Do them in a general order that makes sense the best you can.  Such as notifications, mailbox, and so on... whatever makes sense to you. 

10. Always activate forum before groups, especially if you have them synced.

11. finish up the rest of the plugins

12. take maintenance mode off

13. check your site again

14. turn off debug mode

15. kick back with a cold one (cola for underage people)  and have a great day lol :)

AFTER THE UPDATE

1. Check admin pages and put everything back in order.  Also edit the buttons to be sure they are correctly configured. 

2. Check your roles make sure they are configured properly.

3. Check your main page and make sure it is still configured properly

4. Check your profile and forum pages. 

5. replace your TOS and privacy policies text if you need to. 

6. If you had any custom html or custom pages check those. 

7. Relax and have another cold one..  thats a cola for you people underage :)

The Forum post is edited by dave May 19 '16
bobbi
bobbi May 19 '16
Waste of time putting it on uservoice, a platform update service would generate much need income to continue with developing Oxwall, I will not risk updating my website then have to wait for ages to get answers here, I would rather donate 50 bucks or whatever then say Ross does it, my site is updated and Oxwall gets a some cash
TheNovice
TheNovice Jul 16 '16
Excellent idea $50 update service= no dreaded update stress, its got my vote!
dave Leader
dave Jul 16 '16
No folks no new version yet, this is an old message that i hoped would be a sticky but no luck... :) 
bobbi
bobbi Jul 16 '16
dave could you ask ross if he would be up  for oxwall making much needed cash by performing platform updates, a donation of say 50 bucks and he backs up, updates, trouble shoots the same as skalfa used to do, just think of the revenue, what oxwall have to realise not everyone is a expert in servers, code etc and some like me would rather have the peace of mind of a professional update, not a attempt to do it your self and mess it up, 
dave Leader
dave Jul 16 '16
I am sure he will see this :)  
bobbi
bobbi Jul 17 '16
can you make sure that he does :) the idea has the potential to generate money for oxwall, 
dave Leader
dave Jul 17 '16
Yes sir i will send him a message right now.. :)
bobbi
bobbi Jul 17 '16
thanks dave make him aware that the premium support links you have here no one offers a platform update, i feel it is a important part of support to offer this service, one thing i do know if the oxwall team here fail to offer this service then i will never get my website updated again as i will not risk it i have read the horror stories here, putting this idea on user voice is a non starter dave so dont accept that as a reply from him, a yes or no will do lol, yes for generating extra  funds for oxwall or a no and no extra money is raised for oxwall 
dave Leader
dave Jul 17 '16
Most of the horror stories you hear are because people dont do it correctly or they dont meet the min requirements or they try to fix something themselves when they dont understand and end up making the problem worse.  

Also it is not a good idea to wait until several versions pass and then update.  What version are you running right now bobbi?

bobbi
bobbi Jul 17 '16

hence why it would be a good idea to offer a platform update service at a fee then they wouldnt have to attempt to do it unless they so wish :) 

i use 1.8,   skalfa used to do my updates but they no longer offer this service,  i used to wait for around 3 or four updates then get it done, it was always smooth and never any problems, 
dave Leader
dave Jul 17 '16
ok should be no problem.. just make sure all of your third party plugins will be good for 1.8.3 youll have to check the plugin pages for that. 
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Jul 17 '16
There were several issues due to some not catching the php requirement for ver. 1.8.3.  The requirement for 1.8.3 is php 5.5. This needs to be done before updating. You can do this in cpanel by going to the php selector, or ask you hosting provider for assistance.
ross Team
ross Jul 18 '16
bobbi, as far as I know, Skalfa still provides this service, there was a change in the conditions of providing this service, but they still do updates of the platform and plugins, you can email them directly to get more info at support@oxwall.com

The Forum post is edited by ross Jul 18 '16
bobbi
bobbi Jul 18 '16
Quote from ross bobbi, as far as I know, Skalfa still provides this service, there was a change in the conditions of providing this service, but they still do updates of the platform and plugins, you can email them directly to get more info at support@oxwall.com

No Ross skalfa don't offer this service anymore I emailed Margareth and she confirmed this
dave Leader
dave Jul 18 '16
I would love to offer this as part of my service, but i am not as trained as ross or some of the others and if things went really south (which is rare), it would be a challenge.  But then again thats what backups are for right ;)
ross Team
ross Jul 18 '16
Oxwall.org cannot provide such services, this is open source product, we cannot take any money for the services

Skalfa provides such services but under different conditions. 

The Forum post is edited by ross Jul 18 '16
dave Leader
dave Jul 18 '16
Bobbi if you have $50 just burning a hole in your pocket and you want to get rid of it then just give me $10 and ill do it for you and then you can take the family out to dinner with the other $40... :)  Im such a softee :)  

But you will need to do some things first if your interested.  First be sure its what you want to do, then we can talk.  :)