We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

country/cities Dropdown !!!!!!! | Forum

deep rolling
deep rolling May 27 '16

hello

i browsed some of the topics regarding the country/cities Dropdown menu 

i still wonder why since 2013 and the community did not find out a solution for this!!!!!

my question is

is there any way i can make this happen, because my site depends on this feature. i need it for just a few countries and few cities, is there any plugin besides the map,?

PS: asking the users to write the city and the country in a text field its not helpful because they will write something else and i can not prevent them from doing so!

i really need this pls help!!

deep rolling
deep rolling May 27 '16
any idea 
dave Leader
dave May 27 '16
Hi, not at this time.  Ross may have a better idea if this is in the road map or not but i don't have an answer for you at the moment.  

I suppose you could just edit the question in the question admin area and make it a dropdown and then add your cities to the optoins.  Have you tried that?

The Forum post is edited by dave May 27 '16
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B May 27 '16
I believe the reason there hasn't been a solution is that it would be much more complex than simply having a drop down list. There would have to be code changes to support the selection tying it to the user, and the database would have to be modified to support multiple choice in that field.
deep rolling
deep rolling May 28 '16
all i want is two fields related to each other, they will not exceed 31 each in the database 

where is the complex here!!!

How come since 2013 and no one try to fix this !!!

dave Leader
dave May 28 '16

I know it can be frustrating deep but either a plugin will be done or it will be added to the core eventually.   Remember that the core is just that, a core. It is not designed to be everything but just the basic.  The more that is added to the core, the harder to troubleshoot and the larger the footprint. 

Deep you are more than welcome to come up with the solution and submit it to the Oxwall repository on github if you like.  

If it is only 31 why not create a new field and have those values as a dropdown?

Darryl B Leader
Darryl B May 28 '16
+1 Dave. Creating a couple of new fields with the set options in the dropdown is a way to do it. They can be set as required on sign up, but, if they don't want their true location known, they will most likely select one of the others from the list.
dave Leader
dave May 28 '16
Probably what we need is a plugin that goes by ip to location but will deny proxies at the same time. 
deep rolling
deep rolling May 28 '16
i think the problem should be fixed from the root rather than going around the bush, its a beautiful platform and as it grow the harder to fix it, come on guys i saw those inquiries from 2013, and how the stuff keep on ignoring it, and tell people that they will think about it.
ross Team
ross May 30 '16
In order to have two fields related to each other, like a User selects USA from the list, therefore he has only US cities in another field, this is considered as a custom code modification, you will need to do that on your own or hire a programmer. 

As Dave mentioned, if you already have a solution you can pull reuqest it to the public repository and our devs, we'll check it. 

Also you can make a suggestion on uservoice: https://oxwall.uservoice.com/forums/13756-ideas-for-oxwall

ross Team
ross May 30 '16
Topic was moved from General Questions.
kalvindarwan
kalvindarwan Dec 20 '23
Both have many options for shape and design, and both are built to last for decades of service. Mission Viejo Green Tree Service
James Walter
James Walter Jan 2
We can come to you, hook up to your truck and quickly assess what’s going on under the hood. Pascagoula Mobile Truck Repair