We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Emoticons or Smileys for the Forum? [Open Discussion] | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Leigh
Leigh Jun 29 '12
I just recently discovered and started using the Oxwall software and I am very impressed by the power and versitilty of what it can do. But it struck me as kind of funny that there aren't any emoticons or smileys built in to the forum application. So is there are any plugins or addons that would allow my users to show a nice gif or yellow faces smiley instead of a :-) text version? 

Thanks

The Forum post is edited by Alia Jun 3 '13
Purusothaman Ramanujam
You could try the TinyMCE plugin for that which has rich UI.

http://www.oxwall.org/store/item/80

PS: See the screenshots to understand.
Leigh
Leigh Jun 29 '12
Quote from Purusothaman Ramanujam You could try the TinyMCE plugin for that which has rich UI.

http://www.oxwall.org/store/item/80

PS: See the screenshots to understand.
That seems like a good start! It does offer increased edit and text options but it still doesn't appear to have support for emoticons or smileys. Thanks!

The Forum post is edited by Leigh Jun 29 '12
Purusothaman Ramanujam
It has.. Can you see the third screenshot to confirm this?
Thom
Thom Dec 31 '12
Unfortunately the Emoticons are not working.. 

it just pop up a little screen, and the content is just an iframe of my site.. 

Purusothaman Ramanujam
I guess the plugin is not yet updated for 1.5
Honsa
Honsa Jan 3 '13
the emoticons should work, just tag and console problems are known issues
Barry
Barry Apr 28 '13
Thom, check what the correct Popup URL should be and add it to your .htaccess file as a redirect.

Example:   RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !/popupbox\.html\

Cheers!

dave Leader
dave May 30 '13
If 1.6 comes out and the forums still have no smileys, you can always check out the chatroom plugin http://www.oxwall.org/store/item/539  and use that as an example of how to do it.  It is a fairly simple process once you understand it.    Just thought i would share.
bobbi
bobbi May 30 '13
we have sucessfully managed to use smileys i just use the image url you paste it into the comment box, once you see the image remove the url, submit the comment and you have a smiley it isnt perfect but does work, of course being a image it will be the last thing you see in your comment like i say not perfect or not for someone who likes to use multiple smileys in comments, you can add any image in a comment this way, we found bb codes from some sites work as well, this method we use for newsfeed comments etc, but in forum the url option is there already so it should work i will try it out when not using ipad
The Forum post is edited by bobbi May 30 '13
dave Leader
dave May 30 '13
Basically how most of them work is that it is javascript that is actually displaying the image to the user, the computer (code) sees the char like : and )  together   and then you tell the computer when you see certain char like that together you replace them with an image and you assign an image to that replacement value.  And that is how you can put smilies anywhere in a text.
The Forum post is edited by dave May 30 '13
bobbi
bobbi May 30 '13
yup my way is far from perfect, but it does the job, hopefully smileys will come to oxwall soon but until that happens, image url and bb codes will have to do
dave Leader
dave May 30 '13
Yeppers, if 1.6 does not have any i will do it and ill post the code for all...
bobbi
bobbi May 30 '13
done by image url, a bit big dont have time to look for smaller ones now but shows it can be done
The Forum post is edited by bobbi May 30 '13
dave Leader
dave May 30 '13

very cool..  here is a zip file with the smaller ones if you want them.

Attachments:
  smileys.zip (8.35Kb)
bobbi
bobbi Jun 1 '13
thanks dave, have downloaded them and will use them
The Forum post is edited by bobbi Jun 1 '13
Alia Team
Alia Jun 3 '13

Thanks for sharing ))
dave Leader
dave Jun 3 '13

ahhhhh thats so cute Aliia :)

Marc
Marc Jun 24 '13
Hello,
I must say adding smileys to the forum (or even to newsfeed and blogs) would be a great addition to the Oxwall software.
I can't imagine a forum without smileys.
I runned an IPB forum combined with a Xoops for years and I can state that people like to insert smileys in their posts, to enhance, moderate or punctuate their sayings.
It's a pity the only "Smiley" add-on is not free.
Pages: 1 2 »