We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Google Connect API - Google Connect (recode) | Forum

Ryan P
Ryan P Jul 9 '16
This might be a question for the developer, but I'll post here with the hopes that someone has the answer to this.

For the Google Connect plugin, when a new user signs up via this method, it shows up in the Newsfeed as "google_user_##" has joined. Although it is not that big of a deal, some of my new user's have yet to change their name using profile edit. Is it possible to set up where the user's Google profile name shows up, much like the Facebook connect? Thanks
dave Leader
dave Jul 9 '16
hi,  yes this would be a question for the developer.  Also when speaking of a plugin please try to include a link to the plugin so we can look at the page or download it if it is free. 

I scanned the code, it appears the api is a one way connection api to simply connect to google. So it does not appear that you can display the google username.  I believe another api call would have to be written for that purpose. 

I have not installed this and all i did was look at the pics of the plugin and the connection to get an idea so i have not seen this in operation.  If the google username shows on the page then it might be possible to grab that data. If not then i think a different api call would be necessary in addition to the one they use now.  

I also have not looked at the api on the google side of things so i am not sure if an attribute can be added to the current connection to grab that or not.  

But then again everything i just said could be rubbish... :)  

What is the client id, is that a number or the username?

The Forum post is edited by dave Jul 9 '16
Ryan P
Ryan P Jul 9 '16
Sorry, yes here is the plugin https://developers.oxwall.com/store/item/1013

and the client ID is the google ID # issued to your account, somewhat of a license I suppose. It's really not that big of a deal, as I will simply send out an email notifying these users that they can change their username in their profile. Thanks for the help
dave Leader
dave Jul 9 '16
your welcome, yeah i was hoping the client id would be the username because then we could grab that and use it.   Im sure since this was released that google could have possibly either added more options to the connect api or might have some other docs to assist you.  If you can find a link to the docs on that connection let me know and ill see what attributes they have. 
The Forum post is edited by dave Jul 9 '16
ross Team
ross Jul 11 '16
Topic was moved from General Questions.
You do not have permission to reply this topic