We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Blog SEO Question | Forum

Ryan P
Ryan P Jul 12 '16
Sorry to bring up another SEO question. But I found one of my blog posts indexed on google, & in the snippet/description area on Google underneath the link was all of the tags listed for the post. There was not any content, just tags.

Without  purchasing an SEO plugin, are there any settings to disable this so that the search engines at least pull up the first sentence or two from the blog, rather than show a list of meta tags?
Ryan P
Ryan P Jul 12 '16
Bump due to Tammy's rant taking over the forum
dave Leader
dave Jul 12 '16

I am not aware of some of the new techniques used to index certain data with the spider but you might find something here...  

https://developers.google.com/webmasters/control-crawl-index/

then just click on getting started on the left menu and it will take you thru the tutorial.  I will keep looking to see if i can find something for you. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Jul 12 '16
dave Leader
dave Jul 12 '16
I do know that if you want to see what is indexed from your site in google you can do this on the browser

site: www.example.com      

The Forum post is edited by dave Jul 12 '16
Tammy
Tammy Jul 13 '16
heres my rant on this
go to view php
line 151
  OW::getDocument()->setDescription(OW::getLanguage()->text('blogs', 'blog_post_description', array('post_body' => htmlspecialchars(strip_tags($post_body)), 'tags' => htmlspecialchars($postTags))));

and remove the tags from the description
they should not even be in there to start with
The Forum post is edited by Tammy Jul 13 '16
Tammy
Tammy Jul 13 '16
and it should be truncate to whats google limits lol i think 160 charictors
Tammy
Tammy Jul 13 '16
go to this blog on your site
http://www.rotolineups.com/blogs/12
right click and select view page source
view-source:http://www.rotolineups.com/blogs/12
you can see one big problem the og description is huge and way over the limit

the 2 things google use is title and description
title
<title>Week 4- Draftkings CFL Picks - posted by alvinm at RotoLineups</title>

description

<meta name="description" content="&amp;amp;nbsp;&amp;amp;nbsp;Hey everyone its Alvin from dailydegen.com and I am going to breakdown some plays and give you a lineup suggestion for Week 4 of the Canadian Football League on Draftk... Tags: draftkings, daily fantasy cfl, cfl, daily fantasy cfl strategy, draftkings cfl advice, draftkings cfl lineups." />

because of the length
is way over the limit google is picking up the tags as the most important thing so it shows them

Tammy
Tammy Jul 13 '16
and go to admin languages  blogs plugin and find the title and remove the
- posted by username at RotoLineups
or it will do the same on titles when the post title is longer and then it adds that it will be over length as well and google may grab the post by user name bit
yes it should be truncate as well

The Forum post is edited by Tammy Jul 13 '16
ross Team
ross Jul 13 '16
Ryan, can you please show the screenshot of your website indexing by Google

We entered your site in the search and couldn't find any blogs indexed by google

Ryan P
Ryan P Jul 13 '16
Thank you Dave & Tammy for your help. Tammy-those are great detailed suggestions that i will try. My apologies to you, I just thought my topic was being buried & overlooked, did not mean to offend
Ryan P
Ryan P Jul 13 '16
Ross- Here is a screenshot. Notice, the 1st listing is the blog entry # with nothing but tags. The 2nd listed is the index, how it should be summarized

Tammy
Tammy Jul 13 '16
the only one i could find ross was here
https://www.google.com.au/...=chrome&ie=UTF-8

which is this blog
http://www.rotolineups.com/blogs/7
and it shows index stupidly
inspect that and something crazy has happened that blog in description is only tags

i dont have clue why google would grab this stuff from the bottom the page
Blog home. The Wall. No comments. You need to sign in to comment. Post. By, RotoLineups. Added, one hour ago. Tags. daily fantasy delaware dfs deleware

Tammy
Tammy Jul 13 '16
has google use  a spam word filter now ???
Tammy
Tammy Jul 13 '16
you have problem early blogs but 12 shows correct description
maybe you had some problems like a plugin conflict or something that was stuffing them up

but you need remove the tags from the description
google has letter count limits

i posted about this with the stuff from google stating this
but was never even marked as be a problem
so these bad coding as well as the og descriptions will not get fixed

ross Team
ross Jul 14 '16
Ryan, this is a bug, 

In the next update of the software we are going to have "huge" SEO feature which will fix this issue. 

Thank you for the report. 

ross Team
ross Jul 14 '16
Topic was moved from General Questions.
ali
ali Apr 11 '23
В Арт Академи в София, децата могат да се научат на различни техники за рисуване, керамика, крафт с полимерна глина и много други изкуствени дейности. През последните години, училището се е утвърдило като един от най-добрите центрове за изкуство за деца в София. Една от големите предимства на Арт Академи е, че децата не само могат да се забавляват, но и да учат много полезни умения като търпение, точност и творческо мислене. Децата могат да се развиват в своите умения и да изразят своята индивидуалност. В Арт Академи има и опитни учители, които ще насочат децата и ще им помогнат да развият своя талант. Всички материали и оборудване, необходими за изкуството, са на разположение в училището. Арт Академи
kalvindarwan
kalvindarwan Dec 20 '23
Everything we do is built to last, and not only because of Oxnard’s reputation for seismic activity—building robust and sturdy hardscape that’s pleasing to the eye is a prerequisite without compromise for this contractor. Anytime Concrete Pumping Co.