We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Change domain name. (Same host, different name) | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Vincent Ka
Vincent Ka Jul 13 '16
I changed my domain name.  Changed the domain name in ow_includes/config.php file on define('OW_URL_HOME'.

The site works fine.  But in the newsfeed, any images posted are broken links. Clicking on the broken link brings up the image.

All other images are fine. Photo gallery images, avatars, group cover images, etc.  Just the display in the newsfeed is broken.

Any suggestions?
dave Leader
dave Jul 13 '16
I believe this has been discussed before, i will try to find the post for you.  But i think your options are to either change the link in the table manually or clear the newsfeed table.  But let me check first to see if i can find a reference post.. 

ok here is one..

https://developers.oxwall.com/forum/topic/11053

The Forum post is edited by dave Jul 13 '16
Vincent Ka
Vincent Ka Jul 13 '16
Thanks for the link!  I searched and searched before posting, but didn't find anything.
It's unfortunate that that post from 2013 talks about storing the absolute URL as something that needs to be fixed and here we are 3 years later having the same problem.

Anyway, quick bit of work in mySQL and I'm good to go.
dave Leader
dave Jul 13 '16
Glad to help, its always better to search in google instead of the forum search sometimes, thats how i found it :)  
Vincent Ka
Vincent Ka Jul 14 '16
Since this is here, here are the steps I had to go through for changing my domain name.
Long story short, I lost the original domain, my registrar went out of business and I'm working to get it back. Temporarily, I registered the .net version of my same domain.  I wasn't changing hosting companies, so all my files were staying in the same place.

Step 1.  Edit config to change the home variable to the new .net domain.  Save and upload it.
Step 2.  Run SQL query on the database to change all mysite.com links to mysite.net links to update the newsfeed.  This was a pita, and is something that shouldn't have to be done. Oxwall shouldn't store those as absolute URL's.  It doesn't store any other images that way.  Avatars, group avatars, and most plugins (Photo albums, group covers, profile covers, etc) all still worked fine.
Step 3.  I use the paypal billing plugin to manage memberships.  I had to go into my selling tools on PayPal's site and update the domain name to the new one for the instant payment notifications.
Step 4.  (I forgot this one...) I had to go change my cron job to reflect the new URL.

Done and dusted.
Tyler Hoban
Tyler Hoban Jan 24 '20

Quote from Vincent Ka Since this is here, here are the steps I had to go through for changing my domain name.
Long story short, I lost the original domain, my registrar went out of business and I'm working to get it back. Temporarily, I registered the .net version of my same domain.  I wasn't changing hosting companies, so all my files were staying in the same place.

Step 1.  Edit config to change the home variable to the new .net domain.  Save and upload it.
Step 2.  Run SQL query on the database to change all mysite.com links to mysite.net links to update the newsfeed.  This was a pita, and is something that shouldn't have to be done. Oxwall shouldn't store those as absolute URL's.  It doesn't store any other images that way.  Avatars, group avatars, and most plugins (Photo albums, group covers, profile covers, etc) all still worked fine.
Step 3.  I use the paypal billing plugin to manage memberships.  I had to go into my selling tools on PayPal's site and update the domain name to the new one for the instant payment notifications.
Step 4.  (I forgot this one...) I had to go change my cron job to reflect the new URL.

Done and dusted.

Hello, I'm not sure if you are still active on this forum but could you please post the SQL Query you used to patch the links? My SQL Knowledge is lacking at best. Or perhaps someone else on this forum could answer the question.

Hopefully someday I will have learned enough to be able to answer questions myself. Thank you to everyone in this community that helps me maintain my sanity working with OW. It's really appreciated.

Thank you.

Hiddenmann
Hiddenmann Mar 1 '23
If you have basic knowledge of web design, programming and web development technologies, then you can create a website yourself. To do this, you will need to learn programming languages. There are many online courses, video tutorials, and tutorials that can help you master these technologies. But it's not as easy as you might think. It is better to contact a company that will create an international domain name registration and create a website for you, taking into account all your wishes!