We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

How to reset the default password | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Aditya Saxena
Aditya Saxena Jul 13 '16
Oxwall has a default user password.

It is an obstruction as the user needs to delete it before he can type in his own. I would like to know how to reset it.

dave Leader
dave Jul 13 '16
Oxwall does not have a default password. It is called masking. The dots are not values at all but just appear in the filed as a mask effect. There is nothing to reset.
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Jul 13 '16
What she is referring to is that if you tab to the field it will automatically highlight the mask, but if you click in the field the mask doesn't automatically highlight. On click you have to manually highlight the mask to remove it.
dave Leader
dave Jul 13 '16
oh ok got it... thanks for clearing that up 
dave Leader
dave Jul 13 '16
That is a password field so it is going to have the masking by default.  The click or tab issue is a js deal i believe and since i am not good with js i would have no idea how to do that. 
Aditya Saxena
Aditya Saxena Jul 13 '16
I always get this on my website. How to deal with it
Attachments:
  Untitled.png (12Kb)
dave Leader
dave Jul 14 '16
not much you can do, that fields type is a password field as in.. 

<input type="password" blah blah blah..... 

And any password type field is going to have masking in it. Now that being said what you are seeing is a pre value of the masking because usually on normal pw fields the masking does not show up until after you type(as you type).  So that is what i was saying before is that its probably some javascript doing that pre load value.  And so it would be a custom code mod to change that. 

Actually it is designed that way to be more secure.  

ross Team
ross Jul 14 '16
Aditya, what is your software version? 
ross Team
ross Jul 14 '16
Since 1.8.3 version we changed such fields with the placeholders

See screenshot 1. 

When you start typing, the placeholder disappears. 

See screenshot 2. 

In your case, I believe this is auto fill of the browser. 

dave Leader
dave Jul 14 '16
yeah i was trying to find where placeholder is set for the form but have not found it yet. 
ross Team
ross Jul 14 '16
Also there's a possibility that this is theme or plugin related. please do the testing with the default plugins and theme enabled only. 
Aditya Saxena
Aditya Saxena Jul 14 '16
I am using 1.8.3 and shifted to a default theme. The problem still persists.
Attachments:
  Untitled.png (15Kb)
skaoxine
skaoxine Jul 14 '16
Same thing here (oxwall website) when you sign you need to delete the dots.

You're right Ross it's the placeholder who do that because this problem does not appear in 1.8.2 with the same theme and plugins.

1.8.2 :
<div class="ow_password">

<input id="input_yj4ziqeh" class="invitation" type="password" value="password" name="password">

1.8.3 :
<div class="ow_password">

<input id="input_yn2lywug" type="password" value="password" placeholder="password" name="password">

I found half the solution but I don't know the consequences (security)

ow_system_plugins > base > bol > user_service.php :

public function getSignInForm( $formName = 'sign-in', $submitDecorator = 'button' )
    {
        $form = new Form($formName);

$username = new TextField('identity');
        $username->setRequired(true);
        $username->setHasInvitation(true);
        $username->setInvitation(OW::getLanguage()->text('base', 'component_sign_in_login_invitation'));
        $form->addElement($username);

$password = new PasswordField('password');
        $password->setRequired(true);
        $password->setHasInvitation(true);  <- if false the next line will be disabled
        $password->setInvitation('password');  <- no language key here ! if empty ('') same result no more word and dots
        $form->addElement($password);

$remeberMe = new CheckboxField('remember');
        $remeberMe->setLabel(OW::getLanguage()->text('base', 'sign_in_remember_me_label'));
        $remeberMe->setValue(true);
        $form->addElement($remeberMe);

$submit = new Submit('submit', $submitDecorator);
        $submit->setValue(OW::getLanguage()->text('base', 'sign_in_submit_label'));
        $form->addElement($submit);

return $form;
    }

Is it safe to do that ?
The Forum post is edited by skaoxine Jul 14 '16
Aditya Saxena
Aditya Saxena Jul 15 '16
Yes! where do I find this default password and how do i delete it. Is it safe to do that?
The Forum post is edited by Aditya Saxena Jul 15 '16
dave Leader
dave Jul 15 '16
I believe as long as the pw itself still shows the masking as you type the pw then i dont see a reason that it should be unsafe. However i have not tested this and anytime you edit the core there is always a chance you are taking. 

@Aditya   skaoxine posted the location it in his reply above

ow_system_plugins > base > bol > user_service.php 

skaoxine
skaoxine Jul 15 '16
One last for the road ;-)

You can do something like that for example !
The Forum post is edited by skaoxine Jul 15 '16
kalvindarwan
kalvindarwan Dec 20 '23
We’ve utilized advancements in technology to draw out the myriad facets of potential hidden beneath all that gray. Carlsbad Pro Tree Service
James Walter
James Walter Jan 2
All you need do is schedule when you’d like us to drop by. Pocatello Mobile Truck Repair