We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

FTP Attributes--Noob in distress | Forum

William Joyner
William Joyner Jul 21 '16
Hi there. I'm very new to web hosting, this is day 2 for me. so far ive been getting along great with some trial and error. Now i am having an issue with installing a plugin i bought. when i get to the ftp attributes portion it says i cannot log in. i assume im supposed to use my cpanel credentials but i could really use someone walking me through step by step. thanks for the assistance. i just need to know what goes in each box.
Attachments:
  ftp attributes.png (7Kb)
dave Leader
dave Jul 21 '16
hi and welcome to oxwall, 

host   ftp.example.com

login  your ftp connection  - if  you created in cpanel ftpoxwall@example.com  then that is what goes in that box  

password   your pw

port  21

dave Leader
dave Jul 21 '16
now what i do is i have an ftp just for my oxwell domain, so that i dont put my cpanel pw in there.  Its just me and i want to be safe.  So i wrote a process to set this up and oxwall was nice enough to add it to their docs..

so here is how to do that... 

https://wiki.oxwall.com/faq:how-to-add-new-ftp-account-to-update-add-plugins-and-themes

yayyy my min of fame lol...   what it does is it allows you to set up an ftp just for your oxwall so that you dont have to use your cpanel login.  And it only has access to oxwall if you do it right.   Then you can install plugins without having to use your cpanel account login data.  

:) 

again welcome to oxwall we are volunteers and will help you if we can.. :) 

The Forum post is edited by dave Jul 22 '16
William Joyner
William Joyner Jul 21 '16
Dave! thank you so much for the fast response! seems like you are really on your game and know what you are talking about. After reading all of your instructions i am in and ready to get work. you are the man. much love and thanks again!!