We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Where to edit css | Forum

Simon S
Simon S Oct 26 '16
Hi all

I am performing some css edits on my theme (simplicity). I am looking to make the changes in base.css. In the file structure I can see that this file exists both in ow_static\themes\simplicity as well as in ow_themes\simplicity. 

What is the difference between these two folders and where should I perform edits? Thanks.

Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Oct 26 '16
You may first want to consider making your changes in the custom css in the admin panel. Changes you make there will not be overwritten by theme updates. If you are going to change the base css file, you want to look at the themes/ simplicity/ base css; not the static. You will also need to set dev mode "in the config.php" to true, and refresh your site after saving your changes to see the affect. Remember to set dev mode back to false when you are done.
Simon S
Simon S Oct 27 '16

Thanks Darryl. The dev mode is clear. But is there something like a clear sitemap that explains which files map to which plugins/pages for code editing? For example, I understand that the sign-in page is edited via /ow_system_plugins/base/views/components/sign_in.html. But where are the css edits happening? In \ow_themes\simplicity\base.css? In other cases I understand that multiple php or html sites have to be edited which is not straightforward to identify without a clear overview. Thanks.

Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Oct 28 '16
You will see that the blank_html file contains some css while you also see some in the base.css file where the theme dev may have added some customizations, and possibly added media queries for responsive capabilities. I haven't personally done any edits in the core files. This is the only documentation that I am aware of.

https://wiki.oxwall.com/design:themes