We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

HTTP Request vs SQL [Open discussion] | Forum

Yevhen
Yevhen Nov 21 '16
Hi! I'm working on new oxwall bot and would like to ask some advice. What could be better to do: HTTP Request bot or script with direct access to SQL DB of website?
Thanks
The Forum post is edited by Aliya Nov 25 '16
Yevhen
Yevhen Nov 22 '16
Yesterday I have wasted 6 hours to send POST request to my site in order to login. I have modified it few times - no success... Can somebody help me how to login to my site with POST request??
Yevhen
Yevhen Nov 23 '16
So finally I decided to use Selenium instead of POST requests =) Much easier and more stable for changes! Forum topic creator bot is ready! Now I'm working on the next features. Unfortunately I'm not sure if it will be a good idea to post the bot code to GitHub... I'm afraid to increase bots activity on our oxwall sites...
dave Leader
dave Nov 23 '16
Please explain exactly what your building?   A bot to autocreate forum topics?  Why?
Yevhen
Yevhen Nov 23 '16
I'm building a bot which will use front-end in order to provide an activity of normal user. It will create forum topics, talk with others on forum, comment newsfeed, write blog posts, make friends request, post videos, leave rates in catalogs, post job vacancies, etc, etc.. My script will use a dictionary of bot usernames + passwords in order to login and csv files-instructions for simplifying bots activity. Same time this bot can test website functionality for any bugs after installing some plugins or after updates.
Yevhen
Yevhen Nov 23 '16
I think I can post it on github, cause this bot cannot path CAPTCHA or custom fields in registration form. What You think?
Yevhen
Yevhen Nov 23 '16
This bot is written on Python 3 + Selenium + PhantomJS browser. I have found all the functionality pieces of code. So I'm putting them together. For now I start it from my PC, not from server.
The Forum post is edited by Yevhen Nov 23 '16
dave Leader
dave Nov 23 '16
I think for testing purposes it could have its uses. But for a live site application using a bot to make fake data is not a good idea and i believe it could hurt the ranking as well as push users away from the site.  I also believe that making such a thing available to the public could provide tools for those people that want to use it for bad things.  

I dont know if github has rules for that or not, i dont use github.  

Yevhen
Yevhen Nov 23 '16
Yeah, I know that fake interest is bad (https://developers.oxwall.com/store/item/1345 :D ). But when somebody starts new site, they need to show some activity, which they make by themselves or by freelancers. All the admins know this. GitHub has no any special rules for such thing which is used for daily work (not for bad) so it can be posted from git side. But what about oxwall side? I just finished forum script so now my bot can create topics and make posts by presets. Tomorrow I will continue with that.
This bot is only for showing people that we have activity on the site and when they also start to be active - you can switch it off. LinkedIn, Facebook, Pinterest are all making some paterns so they are on top.
But I also understand that IF community manager has nothing in his head and cannot organize a correct schedule of his bots - it is useless. I don't know if I can share this bot-script among GitHub users, cause some people can use it for attacking other oxwall sites...
The Forum post is edited by Yevhen Nov 23 '16
Yevhen
Yevhen Nov 23 '16
This is not a top secret =) http://darkpatterns.org/
Yevhen
Yevhen Nov 23 '16
I think I will go into a different way:
- I will NOT share bot-script
- I will modify script for "testing-only" (stress test, Plugins test, Website test, Sign-in/signup test, etc.) and will post it onto GitHub for free, so everybody can use it

dave Leader
dave Nov 23 '16
Im just alittle old fashioned is all. :)  I doubt if FB, LI, or Pinterest fake anything.  Back in the older days we had a new thing called flashchat. It was great and gave us so much control over chat that we never had before.  

It also had AI bots that you could set up to have conversations with people.  If you took the time and set it up correctly, you almost could not tell the difference between a real person and a bot, it really was that awesome. Sure you could trick it eventually but if you were just having a normal conversation it would reply just as if another person would.  

I dont remember the name of the website but there was a whole website and AI library dedicated to just tweeking the language files to reply a certain way depending on the conversations. It was all based on the use of nouns, pronouns, verbs, adverbs and all that stuff.  It was totally cool, i played with it for awhile on my secure test site just to see what it was like and it blew me away how real it seemed.  

I sat there for about an hour having a conversation with a bot lol... Talking about childhood and stuff, really interesting the way they replied.   One of the bots told me lets go to vegas and get married baby lol...  Thats when i said ok enough is enough this is getting to the pathetic level now lol.... 

It was fun to play with... But i would never set it up live.  Im just a believer that if you have something worthwhile that people will like, you dont have to fake anything, and you dont need tricks. 

Good luck with that, and thanks for understanding... Have a great holiday season :)

The Forum post is edited by dave Nov 23 '16
Yevhen
Yevhen Nov 24 '16
Thanks =)