We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

trying to edit a custom html box. | Forum

Shaun
Shaun Nov 23 '16
I have been trying to edit a custom html box on the users dashboard.

I have this loads of time in the past without problem but tonight i get a message 403 access to this resource is forbidden on this server.

See screenshot below

I know its probably somthing I need to ask my host to sort out but I need advice on what it is I need to ask them to do.

Thanks

Shaun.
The Forum post is edited by Aliya Nov 25 '16
dave Leader
dave Nov 23 '16
Hi Shaun,  if you PM your full content in the box i will try it on my test site.. Dont post it here because it could be caught as spam and you dont want that... 

Thanks. 

Oxwall Tips
Oxwall Tips Nov 23 '16
sounds like a mod_security blocking certain ajax requests . you need to debug with a Firebug or Chrome Debugger to find which POST is getting 403 forbidden response and then contact your host to get the rule removed.
The Forum post is edited by Oxwall Tips Nov 23 '16
ross Team
ross Nov 23 '16
Oxwall Tips +1 you have mod_security enabled, disable it
Shaun
Shaun Nov 24 '16
Hi everyone, I have allready contacted my host regarding disabling mod security to get another plugin to work but have been told they will not disable it.

They will however disable some  rules if i tell them what rules i want to disabled. do you guys know what rules need disablingcto get things woring again?

Shaun
Shaun Nov 24 '16
Thanks for offer Dave but the content doesnt really matter. it wont save anything.
dave Leader
dave Nov 24 '16
Question, do they offer Oxwall via an auto installer on their panel?  If so you can press them by showing them this page.  Tell them to look at the right side of the page for the requirements. 

http://www.oxwall.org/hosting

If they offer the auto installer you can tell them, they are offering a software that will not work because their servers do not meet the specs. So they either need to make it right or stop offering the software.  If they dont budge and if you cant discover the rule to change, you will need to change host. I did not include that page about hosts to show you hosts, its just thats where the requirements are. 

Also you know you can get a dedicated or VPS server probably close to what your spending for hosting. Then you can load and unload anything you want to.  There are a few additional costs, but the freedom is worth it.  Just a thought.   

The Forum post is edited by dave Nov 24 '16
ross Team
ross Nov 24 '16
We do not provide assistance with server configuration. Your server should meet our requirements: https://developers.oxwall.com/hosting
Shaun
Shaun Nov 24 '16
If Oxwall is unwilling to assist, is anyone else able to advise what rules need to be white listed in order to meet the server requirements of Oxwall software when using Mod_security.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Shaun.

dave Leader
dave Nov 24 '16
Shaun, there are so many different rules and posts that you will have to do what Oxwall Tips said above, debug it and see what POSTS are being denied. 
Shaun
Shaun Nov 24 '16
Cheers dave,  

I dont know how to do it but i will do a Google  search and see if i can learn how. 

Thanks to those who have offered advice. 

Oxwall Tips
Oxwall Tips Nov 25 '16
Shaun,

here are some docs. They are for parse error but in same manner firebug will show the POST with 403 error:
https://wiki.oxwall.com/faq:parse-error-troubleshooting?s[]=firebug

and here is a detailed one for Firebug http://hello.skadate.com/...firebug-console ; .
The Forum post is edited by Oxwall Tips Nov 25 '16
Shaun
Shaun Nov 25 '16
Thanks for the information @Oxwall Tips it is very much appreciated.

Please mark this topic as solved.
dave Leader
dave Nov 25 '16
Hi can you please share the solution with others ;)
Shaun
Shaun Nov 25 '16
For now my solution is to simply remove the box from my site until I can find time to visit and read the links supplied by oxwal tips. 

I currently work full time,  care for an elderly relative and have kids of my own that take alot my time.  It could be a while before I figure this all out. 

If and when I do,  I will gladly share the solution with the community. 
dave Leader
dave Nov 25 '16
Thanks Shaun, hope you and your family have a great holiday season.  
Shaun
Shaun Nov 25 '16
Quote from dave Thanks Shaun, hope you and your family have a great holiday season.  
You and your family too Dave. 

Im just looking forward to a week of work and the chance to relax. 
Shaun
Shaun Nov 27 '16
Solved the problem by not using short urls in my html code.
James Walter
James Walter Jan 2
That’s why we offer 24 hour emergency roadside assistance and are open 7 days a week. Tamarac Towing Company
James Walter
James Walter Jan 3
Contact us today to set up a customized maintenance schedule that fits your business needs. Avon Towing Pros