We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Creating Avatar on sign-up page on mobile device saves wrong rotation | Forum

Kevin
Kevin Dec 17 '16
v1.84 Creating Avatar on sign-up page on mobile device

On iOS either taking photo or selecting an existing photo:

After selecting the photo is displayed on screen.  However after selecting crop area and save, the picture area is wrong. Rotation wrong.

Examples:

1)  taking a portrait selfie on iPhone results in avatar rotated 90 degrees to the right after saving

2)  taking a landscape selfie on iPhone (phone rotated left) results in avatar rotated 180 degrees after saving

3)  taking a landscape selfie on iPhone (phone rotated right) works correctly

I believe this is because of way photos are stored in iOS depending on the orientation of the phone when picture was taken. Considering the preview is correct, the same code should have been used for saving avatar.

Perhaps a rotate button on page would enable user to correct...

Has this been discussed before? I could not find any forum items...

Thanks

The Forum post is edited by Kevin Dec 17 '16
dave Leader
dave Jan 5 '17
Im not sure what the solution is Kevin. I dont have a iphone so i cant test. 
Kevin
Kevin Jan 5 '17
I could take pictures in all four orientations and post, if it would help anyone at Oxwall.
Kevin
Kevin Jan 5 '17
The reason is that Oxwall is not referencing the EXIF Data. This is used on most mobile devices. how about a rotate button that rotates image 90 degrees if auto rotate based upon exit data is not feasible.
Darryl B Leader
Darryl B Jan 5 '17
The request for a rotate feature has been made. The issue with avatars from mobile devices has been brought up several times on the forum. Other scripts have similar issues, from doing searches for possible solutions on Google. I found that someone made a plugin for Wordpress to help with it.
Kevin
Kevin Jan 6 '17
Thanks.