We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Conflict between CONTACT IMPORTER and newsfeed - Contact Importer | Forum

Jamie
Jamie Jan 27 '17
ISSUE:

When I activate CONTACT IMPORTER...

1. ...i lose the ability to make replies to the newsfeed in my dashboard 

2. ...i lose the ability to like content on the newsfeed in my dashboard. 

3. ...all buttons on my dashboard page stop working except for weblinks & CONTACT IMPORTER "mail button" 

CONTEXT:

Everything was working fine at one point and I have a separate install where everything still works fine. But somewhere along the line both the CONTACT IMPORTER stopped working and issues 1-3 occurred. The CONTACT IMPORTER mail button does open a box but it is slightly different from the normal box.

(Difference is that it doesn't display any text as the normal box does)

RESOLUTION ATTEMPTS:  (Unsuccessful)

1. (un/re)active all plugins - no luck(this is how I found the cause tho)

2. run oxwall without CONTACT IMPORTER - everything works

3. (un/re)install CONTACT IMPORTER plugin - no luck

TROUBLE SHOOTING QUESTION(S):

Is there some cached data that I could clear out in my database to see if it will work?

(if you point me to the correct tables in the database I can poke around myself, I just need to know what to look for.)

Thank you

The Forum post is edited by Jamie Feb 5 '17
Jamie
Jamie Jan 27 '17
UPDATE:

It maybe of help to know that the install I have now that isn't working is a clone of the one that does work.

Jamie
Jamie Jan 27 '17
UPDATE: RESOLUTION ATTEMPT 2  (Unsuccessful)

1. Deactivated all plugins and made it a bare bones setup. 

2. Deactivated then uninstalled CONTACT IMPORTER

3. Downloaded CONTACT IMPORTER fresh from Oxwall site.

4. Reinstalled CONTACT IMPORTER(with correct keys) without any other plugins active.

RESULT:

Still not responsive and shuts down the dashboard page.

NOTE:

Again I still have an installation where CONTACT IMPORTER works fine. I made this clone because I wanted the subdirectory name to be different.(I know the keys are correct because they work on that other install)

NOTE 2:

I found mysql database matches for "contact_importer" below....

Total: 11 matches

6 matches in oxwa_base_config

1 match in oxwa_base_language_key

1 match in oxwa_base_language_prefix

2 matches in oxwa_base_language_value

1 match in oxwa_base_plugin

(there were no real differences between original & clone database ...short of ID value in "oxwa_base_plugin" being different(20 -> 32) from the new install)

Jamie
Jamie Jan 27 '17
If I had to take a shot in the dark I would say that the plugin is running some script in the background that's not getting resolved.
Jamie
Jamie Jan 27 '17

UPDATE: RESOLUTION ATTEMPT 3  (Unsuccessful)

1. Deactivated CONTACT IMPORTER in the working install

2. Activated CONTACT IMPORTER in the broken install - no luck!

(just in case their were call conflicts)

NOTE:

I'm thinking that the web address of the working install became permanently referenced somewhere in the code and got passed along in the clone. As a result the script can't resolve the instructions catching them in a loop / stalling execution. 

(If that isn't the right track I'm lost!)

NOTE 2:

When an email is sent the screen goes plain white with unformatted text saying...

paraphrase("you have sent an email to # people.")

In the working installation it says this in a neat prompt at the top of the screen wich then fades away.

(given that is the only execution lead I have at the moment; I'm going to start my search looking for that set of instructions in the code ...hopefully that symptom will lead me to the cause)

Though I'm not sure where to even start looking to find that execution given that there are no plugins by the name of CONTACT IMPORTER (well at least in the DB)

Jamie
Jamie Feb 5 '17
UPDATE: RESOLUTION ATTEMPT 4 (Unsuccessful)

1. Backed up working install

2. Changed directory name of working install to desired name

3. Changed config.php   define('OW_URL_HOME'... to desired name - no luck

4. Changed directory name of "working"(now broken) install to old name

5. Changed config.php   define('OW_URL_HOME'... to old name - it works!

NOTE:

While the working install that broke once the name was changed reverted back to working ...the clone I made to reside at the new directory name is still not working.

NOTE2:

Given that it breaks when I change the name/location of the install via rename or clone I assume it's an issue in the code base that is set once you install.

Jamie
Jamie Feb 5 '17
UPDATE:

Now the previously working install is broken in the same way. 

RESOLUTION ATTEMPTS:  (Unsuccessful)

Load the backup - no luck

Load much older backups - no luck

Load a fresh blank oxwall install with new data base - no luck

CONTEXT:

Once reverting the directory name & config.php back to normal everything worked as normal and I didn't make any further server changes. 

It just started doing the same issue as the clone. even on fresh blank oxwall installs...

Quote from JamieISSUE:

When I activate CONTACT IMPORTER...

1. ...i lose the ability to make replies to the newsfeed in my dashboard 

2. ...i lose the ability to like content on the newsfeed in my dashboard. 

3. ...all buttons on my dashboard page stop working except for weblinks & CONTACT IMPORTER "mail button" 

also

I've found that when you click add new video the text editor looses it's buttons 

(See attachments for working editor vs non working)

NOTE:

The two issues contact importer & add video text editor malfunction occurred simultaneously. It was working then both went down together when I made the renamed direcory / config.php. They both resumed working when I reverted my changes. They both went down out of the blue.

NOTE 2: 

Those two issues are the exact same issues that plagued the broken clone.

NOTE 3: 

I noticed that even when the install was working a moble user(phone & tablet) in desktop mode suffered from the same issues even though a desktop user in desktop mode didn't suffer from those issues. 

The Forum post is edited by Jamie Mar 1 '17
Jamie
Jamie Feb 5 '17
UPDATE:

I was able to replicate similar behavior of the error on the main demo site.

DIRECTIONS:To give you an idea of what the error looks like... 

1. create an html box in the dashboard(or any room for that matter)

2. enter in the following...

<iframe src="https://itch.io/embed/61438" style="display:block; margin:auto; width:552px; height:167px; frameborder="0"; margin:auto;>

RESULT:

1. The itch.io embed will display but non of the java script buttons on the page will work.    

(see attachments for me "breaking" the oxwall demo site with that line of code above)

This is the same type of error coming from the CONTACT IMPORTER when I activate it. the only one that displays any function is the email but even that is displayed wrong. My assumption is that something about the email portion of the CONTACT IMPORTER doesn't allow for other scripts to run on the page. 

NOTE:

See white page(attachments) that pops up from...

http://www.sitename.com/OW_install/contact_importer/email/send/

...after sending an email via contact importer.

Jamie
Jamie Feb 5 '17

UPDATE: RESOLUTION ATTEMPT 5 (Unsuccessful)

1. clear the browser cache - no luck

2. clear the cloudflare cache - no luck

3. try different browsers - no luck

(chrome,edge, firefox,i.e.)

UPDATE:

Given that this occurs now even on fresh installs with default template (See attachment) leads me to think this is a server settings issue. When I go to the demo site it works fine so it can't be the browser.

Major actions taken on the server settings:

1. Changed from php 5.4 to 5.5

2. Added "zip" to php package(to install updates)

3. updated php.ini settings...

post_max_size =32M

upload_max_filesize= 32M

mysql.connect_timeout = 120

max_execution_time = 1000

CONCLUSIONS: request forum change

At the point where even fresh oxwall installs have errors from the start, I believe I need help with my install/server settings. This thread should now probably be moved over to...

INSTALLATION TROUBLESHOOTER AND SERVER SETUP | FORUM

The Forum post is edited by Jamie Mar 1 '17
Jamie
Jamie Mar 1 '17
It's been over a month since I've posted this and as you can see I've done my due diligence in troubleshooting my own problems along with noting what I've done as I've worked on the issue via the updates above.

If there is noone with time to look over my issue currently at least acknowledge that my issue is noted and is under review ...or something.

Thank you

You do not have permission to reply this topic