We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Oxwall Needs To Make Changes! | Forum

Thomas
Thomas Sep 12 '12
Here are a few things that I believe are simple enough for oxwall to include in their software.

1. Drop down menu! This drives me nuts. There is one for the admin panel but not one for the users. To much junk on the top menu.

2. Better way to control spammers there is people signing up on my site daily spamming it. I spend half my day deleting it.

3. Blogs need more features

4. Total site search. Members should be able to search what they want to find from anywhere on the site. This something that should be a must.

5. Post youtube videos via normal http: code instead of embed because my users are not very good at reading directions.

These are couple of suggestions I have.  Most other services offer these and I am not big on buying plugins since they never seem to work.

Purusothaman Ramanujam
+1 for #1 and #2
Thomas
Thomas Sep 12 '12
I love software! I have tried buddypress and jomsocial but love oxwall came back to it.  There is so much room for improvement. Oxwall is so friendly but yet limited in so many ways.  I just hope they can start improving on the small features soon.  This will help them grow and help us grow as well.
Stan Thompson
Stan Thompson Sep 13 '12
I totally agree I am getting around 3 to 4 bots a day and it is getting worse, I have have to buy the credits app to charge members to post links just to stop the bots from setting up links and blogs, over the last 3 weeks I've had over 40 bots invade my website and it is starting to annoy me, as instead of me concentrating on improving my website for my members I spend most of my time deleting bots, links and blogs :(
Thomas
Thomas Sep 13 '12
Stan I feel the pain! Whatever they try I get nailed by bots and all with the same avatart
Cecil
Cecil Sep 23 '12
Yes continuous spam lately, as you say all with the same Avatar and its very very painful to keep removing these users/posts etc. Please Oxwall can we see some form of spam protection for Oxwall as I am using on many sites now.

Kind Regards

Pete
Pete Sep 23 '12

Quote from Cecil
Yes continuous spam lately, as you say all with the same Avatar and its very very painful to keep removing these users/posts etc. Please Oxwall can we see some form of spam protection for Oxwall as I am using on many sites now.

Kind Regards

Why dont you use this pluging

http://www.oxwall.org/store/item/333

MarkieMark67
MarkieMark67 Sep 23 '12
Yes why not try Anti Spammer @ http://www.oxwall.org/store/item/333

Here are a couple other mods that might also help you.

Add this to .HTaccess It'll help weed out proxies.
rewriteCond %{HTTP:VIA} !^$ [OR] RewriteCond %{HTTP:FORWARDED} !^$ [OR] RewriteCond %{HTTP:USERAGENT_VIA} !^$ [OR] RewriteCond %{HTTP:X_FORWARDED_FOR} !^$ [OR] RewriteCond %{HTTP:PROXY_CONNECTION} !^$ [OR] RewriteCond %{HTTP:XPROXY_CONNECTION} !^$ [OR] RewriteCond %{HTTP:HTTP_PC_REMOTE_ADDR} !^$ [OR] RewriteCond %{HTTP:HTTP_CLIENT_IP} !^$ RewriteRule ^(.*)$ - [F]

Add this to index.php, and any other php file that you need added secerity

if(isset($_SERVER['HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR']) || ($_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT']=='') || ($_SERVER['HTTP_VIA']!='')){ die("Don't use proxies, please."); }

if(@fsockopen($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'], 80, $errstr, $errno, 1)) die("Proxy access not allowed");

These three mods will stop Proxies connections.

The Forum post is edited by MarkieMark67 Sep 23 '12
Cecil
Cecil Sep 27 '12
Many thanks guys, implementing them now.
James
James Oct 14 '12
I agree with the need for drop-down menu!!!!
Yves
Yves Oct 15 '12
since i have installed the anti spammer ......... i'm 99.9% spam free !!!